Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shifting an 09 Hardrock Disc...

685 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Swthrtsuzy 
#1 ·
I just purchased an 09 Hardrock Disc as my first ever mountain bike. I have never before owned a bike in which there were any gears to shift. Are there any techniques I should know in order to get smooth shifts everytime? When I am on the pavement and I shift to third gear it clanks and rattles for about thirty seconds and then finally runs smooth again. Is this normal, a bike issue, or something that I am doing wrong? Thank you all for your time and help.

#2 · (Edited)
Hey, welcome, and Grats on the purchase!!!

I have a HardRock as well, '06 HR Pro Disc :)

When shifting gears, it is always best to do it when your chain is not under stress. That basicalyl means, when you are mashing the pedals going uphill or something, don't shift when your weight is on the pedal. It just makes for a smoother more efficient shift.

The clicking you are hearing is the shifter (sorry don't know all the technical terms) not fully moving the chain to the next gear. Eventually it catches, and thats when you hear it stop. This is probably due to your shifter cable stretching (as it is normal to do after a bit of use on a new bike). This is easily fixable with a quick tuneup at the shop, it will take less than 2 mins to fix. You can probably go back to the shop you bought it at and they will do it for free.

Another thing that you should be aware of is cross-chaining. Cross-chaining is when bend the chain in a way it is not supposed to be bent, if you are using the big in the front and big in the back, or small in the front and small in the back, it is not the best setup and wears your chain prematurely.

Best of luck,
Dan

#3 ·
D4ng3r said:
Hey, welcome, and Grats on the purchase!!!
Another thing that you should be aware of is cross-chaining. Cross-chaining is when bend the chain in a way it is not supposed to be bent, by either using the big front ring and small rear ring on your cassette, or the small in front with the big in the rear. Also, if you are using the big in the front and big in the back, or small in the front and small in the back, it is not the best setup.

Best of luck,
Dan
That is not entirely correct. It should read:

Do not combine the largest rear cog with the largest front chain ring .
Do not combine the smallest rear cog with the smallest front chain ring.

#7 ·
The issue with the big chain ring is fairly common. My bike does it, too, on occassion. All it takes to fix is a quick trip to the shop where they adjust my cables. While you're riding, you might try holding the shifter down until it engages. That usually makes it go a little faster. When this first happened to me, I was told that it takes more effort to shift into that gear because it's harder for the derailleur to get the chain onto the big ring. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.