1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Shifter Cable setup Problem

okay, so sorry this is my first post and all, but this is pretty much gonna eclipse all other thoughts till i get this figured out.

so i'm setting up my (first) mtb. i have experience with road bikes, at least a little, and this is a problem i haven't come up against before.

when i put the second length of housing on for the rear derailleur (between the top tube and the seatstay), the cable tension seems to get messed up.

when i click up on the shifter, the cable tightens just fine. but when i click down and the cable loosens, instead of feeding through the housing, it seems to sort of kink and get caught and all the slack is between the first and second lengths of housing--none gets to the derailleur to let it out.

i first assumed the housing was the wrong length, but after trying a couple different lengths, became convinced that the housing length wasn't the issue. but what? that's the question i can't figure out.

and that's where i turn to you. any ideas? this is starting to really get aggravating....

Fat-tired Roadie
    Is it compressionless housing? Did you bend it into a 'U' shape before you cut it? Did you file or grind the hanging pieces of reinforcement from the housing flush? Did you use a sharp thing to get the ends of the housing spread out and opened up again? Are you using ferrules on the ends? Is it a new cable? Did you put a drop or two of Tri-Flow or some grease into the ends of the housing?

EDIT: did you make sure it was properly seated in the stops on the top tube and the down tube? And can you post a pic?

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it's a yes to every single one of those. oddly enough, though, after i messed with it long enough, it went away and functioned fine. still have no idea why.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    something was binding. what and where are what you need to have figured out.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i figured out where, and that cable was kinked a little bit and not sliding through the housing properly. why that happened in the first place i never figured out, and now it's shifting just fine. while i'm glad it's working, i'm sort of bummed that i haven't diagnosed the cause in the first place, which will make it harder to prevent in the future.