mtbr member

Shifter Adjustment

Having trouble adjusting my rear derailer...

I can hit every gear cleanly except 5th on the rear. Tried slight adjustments in the cable with no apparent change. Also cleaned the cogs and chain, nothing.

Anyone have this problem before?

I don't have the nicest shifters, they are very old grip shifters with a Shimano Alivio derailleur. Could it be that the missed gear is just due to their age?

Thanks for the help!
    Dave
    Last edited by dsimp1712; 03-13-2010 at 08:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Need more info:
    -How many cogs in the cassette? Alivio and Gripshift make me think it's at least a 7 speed cassette but...
    -What are the symptoms?

If this is a gear in the middle of the cassette that the derailleur is skipping over the problem is different from if it's a cog at one of the extremities of the cassette that you can't shift to.

mtbr member
    Gotchya, It's a 7 speed cassette.

As far as symptoms, it can go 7 to 6 fine and then when I shift to 5 it starts kind of clicking like it wants to shift, but it wont. Then I can shift past it to 4 and on to 1. I can come back to 5 just fine from there, it's just from 6 to 5 that won't work.

So the problem's in the middle. I'm not sure if they're all the same (probably are) but the gear I'm calling 7 is the smallest and the 1 is the biggest on the cassette, unless my shifter is hooked up wrong :

Thanks again for the help
    Last edited by dsimp1712; 03-13-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimp1712
    I can hit every gear cleanly except 5th on the rear. Tried slight adjustments in the cable with no apparent change. Also cleaned the cogs and chain, nothing.

Anyone have this problem before?
    Yeah, the last time I wore out my cassette. If you've worn out a few chains since buying yours, you may need a new one.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I Have Cookies
    Shift it up to the highest gear in the back (smallest cog) loosen the adjuster on the shifter all the way until it bottoms than undo the cable from the rear derilleur and make sure it's not hanging up in the housings or along the path. If not just pull the cable taught and re fasten it to the cable clamp. Now down shift, if it shifts to the next cog good, try to shift all the way down and back up again if it needs any adjustment use the barrel adjuster and add some tension to the cable until the down shifts are crisp and fast. Note some lower end shifters do not have adjusters if that is the case just use the one on the dérailleur.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Sometimes otherwise inexplicable shifting issues are due to a bent derailleur hanger. Have you taken a fall or laid your bike in the back of a pick-up recently on the derailleur side? A bike shop can easily check for this.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Got it to work I just had to play with the tension a little more I guess. I cleaned everything one more time a little more thoroughly for good measure, but i think it was just finding the sweet spot in the tension that did it.

Thanks again for the help guys, probably will be back after I save up...I think I will be in the market for a nicer set of shifters

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by dsimp1712
    Thanks again for the help guys, probably will be back after I save up...I think I will be in the market for a nicer set of shifters
    There's a possibility that your rear wheel spacing is a little funny, but you may be able to go straight to a 9s setup just by changing your shifters, chain and cassette. I really like my 11-34 cassette...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Ok sorry to hijack the thread but im having a simular problem. I also have a shimano rear derailleur and the junky grip shifters and it seems if I put it on the largest gear I can shift all the way to the smallest. But than when I try to go back up it wont allow me to. I believe it might be the cable I noticed that it is quite rusted. So I am going to replace them ss their a certain way to set it up with the grip shifter or is it like a normal one? I read that you put the chain on the smallest gear adjust the shifter so it is on the gear that gives it the most slack than tighten the cable. I did that but it wouldnt shift so instead I put it on the tallest gear and moved the shifter to the position with the least slack. This gave me the result that I spoke of above.
    Last edited by graywolf; 03-15-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0