1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Setting up the new Bike Computer

Hey guys, first off I just wanted to say this has so far been a great source for information for my new hobby. The forum is nice and full of great info.....

I just got a Cateye Velo 8, and it's super easy to install, no problems there, the thing that is confusing me is the full wheel configuration on the unit. I have read the instruction manual a few time, and have not been able to understand everything from the pictures.

This is the link to the manual

http://www.cateye.com/sites/cateye/u...810_ENG+v3.pdf

I have a Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc, which from the specs has wheel base of 1109mm and 26"x2" wheels/tires. What should my settings be? Or rather what are all these variables on the Velo 8?

26->700c -> 27 -> [205] -> 16 -> 18 -> 20 -> 22 -> 24

I know 26" is the tire size, the 205 according to the manual is 26 x 1.95 but what are the rest of the numbers for? And if I have 26 x 2, then is 206 enough data to input into the Velo 8? Do I need to be concerned with the 700c, 27, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 values?

mtbr member
    Just set it at 206, since it's equivalent to your current tire size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Right but what are all the other values? I guess they don't matter, thanks I'll give it a try and see how accurate it is. I just thought all those values have to be set for the best accuracy, except I am not sure what all those values are....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Those are all just tires sizes. The 205 or 206 or 216 appears to be the tire circumference in cm, according to the manual. The typical way to find this would be to inflate the tire to the pressure you normally run, make a mark on the side of the tire and the ground, roll the bike forward one full revolution of the tire using the mark you made on the side, make another mark on the ground, measure and convert to cm. Or if you have a flexible tape measure or a cloth tape, just measure around the outside of the tire and convert to cm, and then input this number into the computer. Either way should get you close, or just go with the closest preset tire size.

Gary J.