1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

setting up full suspension for jumps

Hey all, have a bmx background, and hardtail mountain bikes

got a full suspension bike, and its great for steep downhills, rocks, riding off ledges, down stairs, etc etc

but i don't like it for jumps. I am getting used to it, but its not great. The landings are nice but the take off not good.

It tries to sap the energy of the ramp, especially the smaller steeper ramps, the longer bigger ramps are easier.

what is the best way to adjust shocks for this? just lots of PSI and stiffest settings?

i have

Fox TALAS 32R front

Fox Float RP32 rear shock

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That is the reason i have been thinking about grabbing a 26 inch hardtail to play on.

T.W.O.
    In general you probably want to set up firmer for jumping and landing. The everyday setup would be too soft for a jump session. For sure I'd increase compression and speed up the rebound a bit so the bottom out would not be so harsh. Trial and error would help you dial the suspension to your riding style. Basically you'd want to use all of your travel without harsh bottoming.

Check out lee likes bike website, I read the post about this a while back.