1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Sette Jamr or Jamis Dakota

I'm looking to get back into riding after a few years from it and currently have a budget of around $1300. I'm looking at the Sette Jamr or the Jamis Dakota '10 model. I can't seem to find any reviews on either and was looking for an opinion on which bike is the better for the money. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Post some links to the bikes. I'm guessing the sette is on pricepoint. Does the dakota come in different component levels? What type of riding are you planning on doing with them?