1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Semi Newb Orbea Dakar and DiamondBack Lux

Getting back into riding a bit. Have a cycle cross bike I haven't ridden in 6ish year (Kona Jake the snake). Wife wants to get into mountain biking.
    We'll see how it goes.
    Ordered her a 2014 Diamondback Lux to get started. Going through Performance Bike for that one. Price matched so out the door around $515 with $135 to spend in store. Plan to get a helmet and would like to get something for our 9 month old to ride in. Trailer or front handler bar seat or rear seat?????
    Would love some opinions on that

Picked up a 2012 Orbea Dakar for me with lots of upgrades. Paid $250 for it. In really good shape but the chain is too long and the front derailleur is lower end (Tourney sis index). Would get I upgrade that to that fits? Only other weak part I see is the front fork but think it will be fine for now.
    The upgrades and some pics
    Shimano XT Brake Levers
    SRAM BB5 Disc Brakes with Avid Discs
    Shimano XT Disc Hubs
    Sun Rhymo Lite Rims
    Hutchinson Scorpion Tires with Slime Tubes
    SRAM X7 3X9 Grip Shifters
    Truvativ Five D 3X9 Crank set
    SRAM X9 Rear Derailleur
    SRAM PC 971 Chain
    Shimano XT 9 speed cassette

Thanks for any and all info

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just start riding ,you will find out what works or not soon enough.Depending on how and where you ride the bikes may be fine for a while.

Fat-tired Roadie
    That's quite an uneven build. Funny how people do that sometimes.

If the front derailleur bothers you, get a Deore 9-speed. Or a fancier group if it's cheaper, but Deore should work great.

I have a Kona Jake too, though the base model. Maybe a little newer - an '09. Actually just stuck some new wheels on it, I'd worn the rims concave. It's pretty cool how versatile those bikes can be.

You're right - a different fork would make a big difference. But it won't hurt you to hold back for a while and see if you're actually riding singletrack, or if life and the baby keep you on bike paths.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks guys
    Need to shorten that chain before any trail ride.
    The story with the Orbea, coworker wanted dude to build him a bike. So he bought it had these higher end parts laying around. Then coworker didn't have $$$ for it. So the bikes a little small for him and he has other bikes.
    I'll leave the front forks alone for a while. But seems weird to have that cheap front derailure with the other upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thinking about ordering this. SRAM X.9 3X9 Low Clamp Top Pull 31.8 Front Derailleur:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

That's the one I need?
    Is it DIY with basic bike tools?
    If not I would take it to performance bike as that's where the wife's bike is coming from.
    Any idea on cost for them to do it?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go to the Orbea site or bikepedia for the specs.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Why not see how well the existing front derailleur works? It could be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Why not see how well the existing front derailleur works? It could be fine.
    Think I will try that first... Strange to have mid grade components then have a $12 front derailleur.
    Thanks for the feedback

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    We'll not sure if we'll kept the diamondback.....
    Found a Scott carbon for her close for a few hundred more.
    So after riding the carbon that fit her we went with that. Check general section for more details
    Now I have a pos compared to the Scott rolling with Xt and xtr lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think you are setup for the perfect mtb development opportunity. Keeping things the way they are will let your wife with the much better bike develop a strong interest in mt biking. Kind of an ego thing, but good for both of you in the long run. And she won't mind when you move up later on.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Beats the way men usually do it - put the wife on a piece of crap so even if she's good she'll never know and he'll always be "better."

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hahahaha
    Well did a baby ride... 4-4.5 miles mostly pavement and some dirt baby single track around town. Just learning how to shift and get a feel for the bike
    Came to a "minor" but steep hill. She started to go, locked up the back break and got off the bike lol. Tried to talk her into going down but she didn't do it. Maybe next time

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You might look into a skills class or see if any clubs do classes. Take her easy rides ,let her get comfortable on the bike ,show her how you do things ,let her decide what she's ready for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Good idea
    She could use it...
    Ill search around. Should be a bunch here. Lots of bikers in Colorado