1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Seatpost sliding down :(

As the title reads....my seat is sliding down slowly as I ride.

I have the quick release tight as I can get it. Being a 195lb 25yo male, I have had it so tight that I shake pushing the lever in and it still slides around.

Any suggestions short of buying a new stem?
    Replacing the cables and housing on your brakes/shifters feels like getting a new bike for $40.

Card-carrying wotmeister
    Coat the seatpost in dirt.

spec4life???..smh...
    Iv heard the dirt idea, Iv heard sanding the post to roughen it up or you may have to get a new and better seatpost clamp

mtbr member
    LBS maybe? maybe replace the seat tube caliper (w.e its called) with a hex key version? those seem to handle up better
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

crap magnet
    Don't push the quick release lever all the way to the seat tube. It's actually at its maximum tightness just a bit shy of completely "closed".

and +1 on the dirt.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain