1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Seatpost Offset

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Seatpost Offset

I bought a 13' Hardrock Disc this spring. When I test rode the bikes I was deciding between a medium and large frame. I went with the medium because I was not comfortable with the stand over height on the Large.

I have been trying to position myself so my knee at 90 degrees is inline with the center line of crank. I have moved the seat back some and have some adjustment that I could use to put my self in where I need to be. The question I have is should I continue to move the seat back or should I go with a post with slightly more offset.

I guess what I am asking is what the role seat offset should play in setting up the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The seat should be wherever it needs to be to get the ball of your foot over the center of the pedal axle. Why are you changing it ,are you having a problem with something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't go too far back or you may feel it in the knees eventually. Typically a starting approach is to get the knee over the pedal spindle with the pedal at 3 o clock, or known as KOPS. Now that isn't the end all to proper pedal position but at least it is something. If have any doubts or can't get it figured out then you should consider getting fit to your bike...which will get u dialed in an also be a learning experience. It took me a really long time and thousands of miles to be able to feel out proper pedaling position.

mtbr member
    Knee at 90 inline with the center line what...? I'm not sure I understood correctly at all, but rather start with KOPS and fine-tune from there. KOPS is certainly not a goal but it's a better starting point, or as zephxiii said, it's at least something.

As long as the rear of the bike is similar (chainstay length, seat tube angle), the size difference doesn't affect your need for a setback seatpost. You'll adjust saddle height according to your leg anyways, so the only thing a smaller size means is more exposed seatpost. Geometry in the rear remains the same at least between the M and L of any frame I've seen.