Thread: seating pos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

seating pos.

Why do I always slide forward on my seat? I have ridden on a couple different seats, on all of them I find myself sliding forward on the seat. I move back where I should be, but a little later I am back up to far forward on the seat.
    Last edited by rockyrunner99; 05-09-2010 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    You mean you slide forward accidentally or when climbing? It is normal to slide to the nose of the saddle when seated-climbing. If, however, you're sliding forward all the time, either your saddle is tipped too far down or you need to move it back.
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I prefer to have the nose of my saddle slightly pointed up. You should fit your bike so you're sitting on the broad part of the seat when pedaling on the flats. As the previous poster mentions, it's expected that you will slide forward when climbing (this keeps your weight forward, which helps keep the front wheel down and get traction to the rear). I really like "drop nose" saddles, because they allow me to mount the saddle with the slight upward tilt that I like, while still allowing me to come forward easily for the climbs (without poking me too badly ...). BTW, I'm male...I understand that women may want their seat positioned differently...

But beyond the seat position, how big is your frame--and is it too big for you? I think it's pretty common for people to buy too big a frame, and that can make it hard to adjust things to fit properly.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Maybe your body is letting you know that you should move the saddle forward. I adjust my fore-aft saddle positions to match where I'm most comfortable, rather than trying to position myself according to where the saddle happens to be on the bike. I typically have my saddles mounted almost level, and my preferred type of saddle is super-flat on top. If you're sliding forward because the nose is tipped down, try leveling it and see how you feel.

It could also mean your cockpit's too long - do you feel like you have to reach way out to get to your handlebars?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well my frame if anything I feel is too small. I am 5-9 to 5-10 and am on a GF 17.5in frame. My seat is quite high, Higher then the handle bars. I don't really feel stretched out, but I feel like my but is in the air. I have the seat as far forward as it can be and near level to slightly downward at the front. I thought that would help put the weight at the back of the seat where it should. I can try raising the front of the seat a little, do you think that would help? I would like to get a new bike as soon as I can afford to. I kinda think I need a 19 inch frame. I will do lots of test riding when I am ready to get one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    Why do I always slide forward on my seat? I have ridden on a couple different seats, on all of them I find myself sliding forward on the seat. I move back where I should be, but a little later I am back up to far forward on the seat.
    Do you have a straight or setback seatpost? If you have a setback seatpost, even with the saddle all the way forward on the rails you might be too far back.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Well my frame if anything I feel is too small. I am 5-9 to 5-10 and am on a GF 17.5in frame. My seat is quite high, Higher then the handle bars. I don't really feel stretched out, but I feel like my but is in the air. I have the seat as far forward as it can be and near level to slightly downward at the front. I thought that would help put the weight at the back of the seat where it should. I can try raising the front of the seat a little, do you think that would help? I would like to get a new bike as soon as I can afford to. I kinda think I need a 19 inch frame. I will do lots of test riding when I am ready to get one.
    Let's leave the frame out of it for the moment.

What I'm reading is that you feel like your saddle is too high in relation to the handlebars. Why not try a higher-angle stem or a set of riser bars? Is your stem flipped up or down? Any spacers on top of it? Then you don't even have to buy something to get a little closer to your best fit. Do you have much weight on your hands when you ride?

As far as saddle angle, my experience is that my butt will tend to slide downhill. If I tip the nose down, I'll slide forward and end up with a turbo wedgie. If I tip it up, I slide back but it also puts pressure some places I'd rather it didn't. So my saddles are all roughly level. I think that raising the front of the saddle could help, but if your weight distribution is off it won't be very helpful. If your weight distribution's already good, that could be the last little thing you need to do to get "your" fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ...My seat is quite high, Higher then the handle bars. I don't really feel stretched out, but I feel like my but is in the air. I have the seat as far forward as it can be and near level to slightly downward at the front. I thought that would help put the weight at the back of the seat where it should. I can try raising the front of the seat a little, do you think that would help?
    I rode for decades on bikes with the seat higher than the bars...that is not the issue. I have also ridden bikes with the saddle nose pointed down, and...well, then I can't help but slide forward on the seat. I hate that!

Try setting your seat level, or very slightly angled up. You should be sitting on the actual seat part of the saddle, the wide part at the back.

If your frame truly was too small, you'd be pretty cramped with the seat all the way forward, I'd think (even with a setback seatpost).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I do feel like I have a little too much weight on my hands... but that never bothers me. As for the stem, it does angle up slightly, it does not extend forward much at all and there us one large spacer in it to bring it up. My handlebars do rise up a little bit, a have inch or so. I think I will try raising the front of my seat a little bit. I think I remember having this problem when I had the front of my seat a little higher, but that was with a different seat and bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Too much weight on the hands can be a symptom of having the reach too long or having too much drop from the saddle to the handlebars. If messing with the saddle doesn't give you a position that works out, I think you should try doing something to bring the grips closer to you, higher, or both. You can also try doing something to make them further or lower - sometimes being packed into too small a cockpit results in too much weight too. It's worth messing around with some different stems, in any case.

Your LBS may have an adjustable stem and likely has a bin full of stems taken off new bikes during fitting. If your bike is too small for you, a longer stem will help. If your reach is already too long, a longer stem will really let you know. How long is the one on there?

Members who have read this thread: 0