Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Seat post & Seat rail postion

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  U V 
#1 ·
I just bought a second hand Thompson post not realizing my old post clamp was set back and the Thompsom clamp is right on top the post. I had to slide my seat all the way back to get the correct position. Is there any problem in doing this? Will the rails bend over time? I ride a FS bike and weigh around 170 lbs.

#2 ·
Haven't had a problem ...

spacoli said:
I just bought a second hand Thompson post not realizing my old post clamp was set back and the Thompsom clamp is right on top the post. I had to slide my seat all the way back to get the correct position. Is there any problem in doing this? Will the rails bend over time? I ride a FS bike and weigh around 170 lbs.
with mine set all the way back on the rails in 3 years. I weigh about 165. Any rails can bend with enough force though.

#3 ·
Same situation here...

spacoli said:
My old post was an Easton w/setback and I upgraded to Thompson w/no setback. I have my seat all the way back on the rails on a FS bike, I weigh 200 and havn't had any problems. The saddle I use has chromo rails, I'v had a problem in the past breaking Ti rails so I don't use them anymore.

#5 ·
spacoli said:
you should be OK. setting the seat back is something many people do. Thomson seat posts are nuke proof, so you should be fine

#6 ·
Maybe I need a Thompson then, I've probably bent 2 or 3 sets of rails in the last 2.5 years by setting the rails all the way back for the reasons you mention. I weigh about 165-170 and ride agressive XC (ride hard, but no drops over 2-3 feet). I've bent them on my HT and on my Enduro. Also broken several seat binder posts on the HT, usually while sitting down and cranking up a hill.

My HT has a Titec X-wing seat post with the single binder, the Enduro has the stock Specialized post, with similar binder mechanism. I've always been intrigued by the 2-binder Thompsons, and just too cheap to buy one, maybe I should spend a little to save a lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.