1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK

New question here. Seat post & Seat rail postion

I just bought a second hand Thompson post not realizing my old post clamp was set back and the Thompsom clamp is right on top the post. I had to slide my seat all the way back to get the correct position. Is there any problem in doing this? Will the rails bend over time? I ride a FS bike and weigh around 170 lbs.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Haven't had a problem ...

Quote Originally Posted by spacoli
    I just bought a second hand Thompson post not realizing my old post clamp was set back and the Thompsom clamp is right on top the post. I had to slide my seat all the way back to get the correct position. Is there any problem in doing this? Will the rails bend over time? I ride a FS bike and weigh around 170 lbs.
    with mine set all the way back on the rails in 3 years. I weigh about 165. Any rails can bend with enough force though.

Ride Instigator

Same situation here...

My old post was an Easton w/setback and I upgraded to Thompson w/no setback. I have my seat all the way back on the rails on a FS bike, I weigh 200 and havn't had any problems. The saddle I use has chromo rails, I'v had a problem in the past breaking Ti rails so I don't use them anymore.

Are you talking to me?

You may have an issue, but I doubt it.

The Thompson clamp area is wider than most, dissipating the forces better. If need be, Thompson makes a model with 12deg of setback.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    you should be OK. setting the seat back is something many people do. Thomson seat posts are nuke proof, so you should be fine
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe I need a Thompson then, I've probably bent 2 or 3 sets of rails in the last 2.5 years by setting the rails all the way back for the reasons you mention. I weigh about 165-170 and ride agressive XC (ride hard, but no drops over 2-3 feet). I've bent them on my HT and on my Enduro. Also broken several seat binder posts on the HT, usually while sitting down and cranking up a hill.

My HT has a Titec X-wing seat post with the single binder, the Enduro has the stock Specialized post, with similar binder mechanism. I've always been intrigued by the 2-binder Thompsons, and just too cheap to buy one, maybe I should spend a little to save a lot!

Are you talking to me?

Spend the money.

Thompson posts are the way to go. After breaking many posts, I finally broke down and bought one 3.5 years ago. Still going strong, no more bent saddle rails. I am 6'4" 225lb, so I torque on that sucker.

U V
    aka: UltraViolet
    i allways put my seat about half an inch forward so avoiding bent rails