1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Seat adjustments on the Fly

When I'm starting to ride some technical downhill sections I want to be able to lower my seat on the fly. Then once I get back to normal conditions set it back without stopping. I remember seeing some sort of spring device that would allow you to do that but have no idea what they are called or if it's even worth it. What do you guys use/do in this situation?

mtbr member
    gravity dropper

look in the seatpost reviews section

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I agree with 3034.

The Gravity Dropper is what you want. It is, without a doubt, the best upgrade that I've ever made to any bike. Using the GD is so much fun and it also gives that added confidence when you trop the seat for technical riding. Make sure you get the multi-position, remote model.

The GD is not cheap. It costs around $250, but it's worth it.

I'm at the point now where I don't even want to ride the bike that doesn't have the GD. I now use the GD on both of my bikes

ride hard take risks
    Check out the Maverick SpeedBall post.

http://www.maverickbike.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=123

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Check out the Maverick SpeedBall post.

http://www.maverickbike.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=123
    The Maverick Speedball post is a good idea that needs a bit more refinement. 3 things kept me from buying the Speedball.

1) I needed a 27.2 post. Maverick does not make one...... yet (total deal breaker)

2) Maverick doesn't offer a remote actuator......yet. There's a world of difference between moving your thumb as you fly down a hill towards a stunt (GD)... vs taking your hands off of the bars to actuate the Speedball. That's too scary for on-the-fly adjustments

3) The Speedball has no set positions. Maverick advertises it as a positive....they call it infinite adjustment. It sounds great, but in practice I want to know exactly where the seat height is set. With the speedball, I'd be adjusting it over and over to get the right height. It's a big negative as far as I'm concerned.

ride hard take risks
    Hay thats ok with me im old school, adjust the seat for the condition your riding, it's cheaper to!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smear3
    When I'm starting to ride some technical downhill sections I want to be able to lower my seat on the fly. Then once I get back to normal conditions set it back without stopping. I remember seeing some sort of spring device that would allow you to do that but have no idea what they are called or if it's even worth it. What do you guys use/do in this situation?
    the oldschool method was the hite-rite. they still come up on the 'bay.

http://www.bikepro.com/arch_products...ts/ahiter.html

I used one for a while back around '92. didn't really find it all that useful.
    I just mark my seatpost for regular ride height (if it doesn't have marks already on it) so I know where to put it back to.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I used to feel the same as you regarding the lowering of my saddle.

Using the GD has changed all that. I'll adjust the saddle now dozens of times a ride. The saddle is always at the right height for the terrain. It's a lot like being able to choose the right gear for the terrain.... You can get by with one gear (or one seatpost height), but it's sooo much better when you can shift as necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Figures it costs $250... Alright I'm gonna start wrapping pennies...anyone wanna come over and loose their ass off on poker?

mtbr member
    I have always been tempted by that GravityDropper. Do you get any wobble or creaking from it?

ride hard take risks
    Figures it costs $250... Alright I'm gonna start wrapping pennies...anyone wanna come over and loose their ass off on poker?
    My 18 year old will take ya, hum i can use some bike parts, he's on his way!!!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dcairns
    I have always been tempted by that GravityDropper. Do you get any wobble or creaking from it?
    none, and he will give you a 30 day money back warranty, no questions. I would get the 2 position

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    none, and he will give you a 30 day money back warranty, no questions. I would get the 2 position
    Don't you mean 3 position? Full extension, 1" down, 3 or 4 " down.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Don't you mean 3 position? Full extension, 1" down, 3 or 4 " down.
    yes

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The Hite Rite is the thing that I had in mind from to old days. Honestly the gravity dropper is nice but I don't know if it's worth that much to me. The only seat adjusting I would be doing is just to drop in to it's lowest position as I go down some steeps. As soon as I get to the bottom I'd be raising it all the way up again. So the different positions isn't really all that appealing to me. I definitely like the way the others look and can see how much easier to use. But I don't know if I can justify 220-250 for the easy seat adjusting.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    The Hite Rite is the thing that I had in mind from to old days. Honestly the gravity dropper is nice but I don't know if it's worth that much to me. The only seat adjusting I would be doing is just to drop in to it's lowest position as I go down some steeps. As soon as I get to the bottom I'd be raising it all the way up again. So the different positions isn't really all that appealing to me. I definitely like the way the others look and can see how much easier to use. But I don't know if I can justify 220-250 for the easy seat adjusting.
    yeah, its not cheap but how else can you do it without stopping

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah that's what sux about it! LOL It will take a bit of *****ing and moaning until I finally break the bank and buy it. For now it's just not quite worth it yet.