1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Searching for second biike - freestyle/xc hybrid?

I purchase a hardtail xc Jamis 5 years ago (my first bike) and it's worked out well for the types of trails we have here in Florida.

My one complaint has always been how rigid it has always felt. It could be a combination of the frame geometry, weight, short stem and narrow flat bar (e.g. it takes tons of effort to even get the front wheel in the air).

In any case, i've been recently riding my friend's Specialized P3 and i love the feel and maneuverability of a freestyle bike. I've played with it on the trails and skate park and have been able to do things i couldn't dream of doing with my xc hardtail.

My question is, if i'm going to continue riding the trails but also want to develop my dirt jumping and tricks, what would a good hybrid be for my second bike purchase?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A used 24" BMX (cruiser) makes a fun bike for park and some jumping. Usually can find one fairly cheap. Keep your other one for trails.