1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Scott Spark 620 vs Stumpjumper FSR?

Hello, first post here.
    After hundreds of Googlehours reading and processing about different bikes, I've come to narrow down to a couple of bikes. I ride a hardtail Trek (3900) which is a beginner bike and I'm looking into upgrading it to a full suspension bike. The type of riding I do is very much light to moderate XC/trail with an occasional thrill down a mountain side.
    My budget is somewhere around 2-2.5k and I'm starting to see some discounts on the 2013 bikes as the inventories are changed.

Question for the experts:

Spark 620 or
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp (26")?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go test ride. The one one that knows if you like it is you. Parts don't matter much ,you will wear them out. Find a frame that fits ,ride it until you want something else.

mtbr member
    I would lean toward the scott if I was mostly an XC rider.

I like the carbon frame, the DT swiss rear shock with the twinlock feature. 120mm of travel. Scott is a bit more unique compared to Specy(I have owned multiple Spec bikes).

main differences are :
    Suspension Components and travel (both are very good) Just depends on what you want.
    Drivetrain (Shimano slx&xt vs Sram X7 & X9) Both are very good.
    OEM component build (specialized vs Syncros) Personally I would rather have the Syncros&Dt Swiss build on the Scott over the Specialized parts on the Stumpy.

You should go out and ride them both if possible and see which one suits and fits you best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the quick feedback. Greatly appreciated. I will certainly ride the above bikes and likely try other ones at the stores this coming weekend (Orlando). This has been very confusing as I've just recently dove into the subject. The last bike I bought was a BMX back in the 80's. Now in my early 40's the world of biking has changed but I've become quite enthusiastic about MTB.
    What I'm looking for is also market value. In the event of a future upgrade (if needed) I'd like to be able to quickly sell the bike and retain some value.
    Others have recommended me to look at Santa Cruz, Yetis, Jamis, etc. I can't process all those so I've narrowed down my search to these two brands.
    I just bought a Specialized 24" for my son as we're enjoying some trails together so I can always keep it the same...
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    If something that you wont is the value and small depreciation Scott and Specialized are both pretty good.

It should be stated that bikes do depreciate significantly when they leave the bike shop. So if you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, you might be better off looking at used(lots of people buy bikes and they just sit).

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Bought the Stumpjumper FSR Comp 26" in Black/Charcoal. It was love at first sight. It's a beautiful bike and the test ride was quite reassuring. I actually didn't get to test the Scott but while I was at the store looking at the Specialized, the bike just felt right. It was disappointing to see that most stores don't carry much 26s anymore, so I didn't have much to choose from.
    Well, the SJ is a fantastic bike so far, had to change the saddle for a better fit but overall it's all good.
    Anyway, thought I'd follow up on the thread. Thanks!!
    Last edited by timfucius; 08-25-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    May 2010
    cool, got the same bike a week ago, red/black. 26" also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tick_Tock_Glock View Post
    cool, got the same bike a week ago, red/black. 26" also.
    I was actually looking for the red/black but the stores near me didn't have it in stock so I "settled" for the black/charcoal. I think both bikes look very nice but the black is definitely harder to clean as the paint has more of a matte texture and gets dirty fast. I'm going to try to apply some type of wax coating to see if it helps.

I'm still trying to get used to the longer handle bar on this bike. I love my new bike!