1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: What bike would you buy? (Scott extra $250)

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Marin Mount Vision 5.6 (2010)

1 20.00%
  • Scott Spark 60 (2012)

4 80.00%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm SCOTT or MARIN, Help me buy!

Hi Guys, well I'm trying to find out if the Scott is worth the extra $250 over the Marin.. Your opinions really matter to me. (both bikes are new)

Here are the two bike:
    2010 Marin Mount Vision 5.6 $1,100 OTD
    MARIN BIKES 2010**|** Mountain FRS**|**Quad XC **|**Mount Vision 5.6

SCOTT or MARIN, Help me buy!-a1f-4xc_mount_vision_5.6_c1.jpg

or
    2012 Scott Spark 60 $1,350 OTD (extra $250)
    Spark 60 - SCOTT Sports

SCOTT or MARIN, Help me buy!-221695_14661_png_zoom_1.jpg

What would you buy?

T.W.O.
    Scott looks nice. It's newer and should be a very good XC bike. What kind of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I don't ride... getting back into it after 20 years...I'm almost 40 and wanting to hit the trails...

T.W.O.
    Then I'd say I'd go for Scott. The Marlin (Whyte) Quad-link design is awesome but it's not a really looker is it

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm not sure the shocks are lockable on the Marin, but the Scott has the remote lockers front and rear!

Why do you say the Scott?? Does it have better equipment?

T.W.O.
    I'd just avoid using lock out both front and rear. You are paying extra $$$ and weight to get a full suspension bike for extra traction, control and a bit more comfort why lock it out. It should not bob or robbing you of efficiency, you just have to learn to pedal in circle and not mashing the pedals, keep your core engage. You should not rely on the lock out feature on the bike.

I had a Scott Ransom, it's quirky but I liked it. Scott offers a bit of an adjustable geometry and BB height, are you going to play with it all the time, I doubt it. The chainstay direct mount is pretty nice feature. As for the components, they are ok for trail riding, you should be able to enjoy the ride without any hiccups. Upgrade when the parts start breaking, which would be a long while.

Both of the bikes above are not my first choice, they are not bad but, I'd do the Giant Trance X. It's a similar design to the Marlin but more proven and reliable. If you can find the 2012 new old stock it should be in the same price range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    wow that giant Trance is sure a nice bike...unfortunately nobody sells them locally...

I thought the lockout's would be good for when I hit the road?

My wish is a 29er soft...but I can't find one in that price range..

T.W.O.
    SCOTT or MARIN, Help me buy!-215.jpg
    I don't use lock out on the road. Actually, though I have a proper road bike, this is my favorite road bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Would the 29er Spark 960 be a better bike than the Spark 60??

SCOTT Spark 960 Bike - SCOTT Sports

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ride an old 1999 Spec' FSR Comp around the city all the time. It's coil sprung in the rear but works fantastically at giving my back a break while allowing me to ride safely away from cars.

As far as the 960 vs. the 60. Now you're talking about 26" vs. 29". That is something you'll have to figure out yourself. If you are doing cross country riding then 29 is kind of the obvious choice. You're best bet is to go test ride 29ers and see how you feel about them.

Now if you aren't down with the 29", Scott also has a 650B option in the form of the Genius, 650B is a very nice middle ground between 26" and 29".

Me personally, I love ALL wheel sizes.

Master Shredder
    Definitely get the Scott! looks like an awesome bike. I've heard excellent things about Marin as well, but the one you posted doesn't look nearly as good at the Scott.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

Rogue Exterminator
    Scott
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    That's a big markdown on the original retail of the Marin. I have a 2011 Mount Vision, and the spec is pretty different from the one here, so it isn't really comparable. I like it, but I can't really speak for the 2010.

A friend of mine just got the Spark 60 and it is a good bike. The prevalence of Shimano components is a good thing. With the extra $250 you could get a dropper post or upgrade something.