1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Scott Contessa 10 - or other recommendations?

I am a beginner and looking for my first mountain bike. Budget is Aussie $1000-1500. I enjoy cross-country and a bit of single track. I've looked at the Scott Contessa 10, which i can get for $1000 at the moment. What's the verdict on it?

Alternatively, does anyone have any other suggestions????

Thanks heaps!

AKA Dr.Nob
    Go to a newsagent and the '08 Bicycling Australia Buyers Guide. Lists most manufactures bikes with major components.

Best $10 you'll spend.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My wife has a Contessa 20 and absolutely loves it. She started out on a Giant Boulder SE and liked that bike also, until a friend let her ride her Contessa and then she had to have one. She said she is more confident on the bike and it handles better then the Giant. She is now riding more then ever.