Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Scott Aspect 29 trail vs Cannondale trail 6

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Munkyak 
#1 ·
Im looking at these 2 bikes. Need the expert opinion of this forum. What are you're guys thoughts?

#4 ·
The forks have a coil spring that compresses with a bump. The coil spring should be matched to your weight. A well adjusted rebound dampener slows it's return so the wheel can follow the bump and maintain steering control while the frame remains stable. Then you can ride over things without bouncing out of contact and out of control.and have to slow down a lot. Here's a video of a good fork through a fun but difficult trail.
.Manitou Tower Pro Review - 29er fork test - YouTube
On a bike path you don't need to have the same degree of control to avoid things or encounter as many connected bumps in as broad a range. The Suntour forks would be overwhelmed at a lower speed. You have to brake more and bring your speed way down
Skill can compensate for some fork performance, but as always for me, its hard to develop the skill using the stuff that you need the skill to make work.

#6 · (Edited)
That's why a demo day is a good experience and opportunity to see what you like to do. It's hard to plan for and spend money on an activity without doing it. You can think it's too hard or not fun on underperforming equipment.
It might seem like you wouldn't go on a trail like shown in the video. Those are built by people not to get to someplace in a quick an easy way like a road. Skill and fun and a challenge only.
This trail is close by and I ride it often.(not me)--
Stony Creek- Fall Season 2009 - YouTube

On speed. No one is out there enforcing restrictions, cause there aren't any- except personal safety and consideration for other trail users. You can go as fast as you want.

#7 ·
Hey K, Flip a coin - they are pretty much the same. Looks like you are buying local - is there a price difference? I'd like to know a little more about you to understand if these bikes are appropriate for your goals.

What are you trying to accomplish? Where will you be riding? Would you consider buying a bike online? Are you budgeting for accessories like a helmet, gloves, padded shorts, bike transport method, pedals, water bottle cage and bottle?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.