1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Schwinn Sid - Why I bought it. My review.

Just purchased and rode my Schwinn Sid. I have not ridden a bike in 45 years. I'm recently retired and was going to purchase the Schwinn Sierra GS. However, the Sid handled so much better than the Sierra (which I also liked).

Best part. The handlebars-that's why it felt so good. No bending. Attractive styling, especially the hubcaps.

Reservations: The automatic shifter. It's fairly new, and I couldn't find any reviews on the web. Will it cause problems? Who knows. The mechanic said it should cause fewer problems with no derailers to worry about. The front wheel is not a quick release, so it may cause space problems for some. I would have preferred a simple 7 speed. That would have ruined the retro look. The bike itself is very attractive, with great looking hucaps. Hubcaps really got my attention. That's why I tested it. I don't know why they use pink trim on a man's bike. Retro look I guess.

On the road. I live in a flat part of Ohio. Even so, I had to struggle with the inclines with the 3 speed shift. It shifted okay. I think the problem was me. I'm 63 years old, and have had 3 angioplasties. I walk my dog daily, but haven't been on a bike since I was a kid. Following doctor's orders to exercise more vigorously. The coaster brakes were different.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. Would have considered the new Schwinn Coffee 3 speed, but it wasn't available. Looks like Perfomance Bike will only have the single speed Coffee. I couldn't handle that. I added $ 130 worth of options at the time of purchase. That way, they were installed without labor charges.

likes to ride bikes
    Cool man. I just got Sid myself this weekend, and my Mom picked up Nancy. I absolutely LOVE him (it?)!!! This is my 4th bike, but I have to say I don't smile anywhere near as big on any of my other bikes. It's just fun to ride.

As far as the gearing, it could be better, but it's not too shabby. Of course one of my bikes is a single speed 29er, so I'm kinda used to grinding on the pedals. 3 speeds is like heaven compared to that!

I too am not really digging the pink trim on the seat and grips, but those are gonna be replaced by some Electra goods in the very near future, so no worries.

Overall a very solid bike at a decent price (paid $552.50 for the pair from Performance). I'd highly recommend Sid (or Nancy) to any newb out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You got a great deal. I know that was Performance Bikes weekend internet deal, for the pair, including the 15% discount. Did you order off the internet and ship to the store to get that price, or did the local store match the internet deal? Our local wouldn't match the internet special and give the 15% discount. As it turned out, I bought mine on Saturday, and my neighbor bought hers on Sunday. They did give us an extra $15 off each bike. Our cost was $325 per bike. Glad I joined Team Performance. That reduced the true price further, less the $ 25 to join. I agree that the shifting is so, so, but better than single speed. Fits our needs.

likes to ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by sliderule43
    You got a great deal. I know that was Performance Bikes weekend internet deal, for the pair, including the 15% discount. Did you order off the internet and ship to the store to get that price, or did the local store match the internet deal? Our local wouldn't match the internet special and give the 15% discount. As it turned out, I bought mine on Saturday, and my neighbor bought hers on Sunday. They did give us an extra $15 off each bike. Our cost was $325 per bike. Glad I joined Team Performance. That reduced the true price further, less the $ 25 to join. I agree that the shifting is so, so, but better than single speed. Fits our needs.
    Yup, great deal indeed. Especially since MSRP is $499, and the "normal" Performance price is $400. My local store matched the online price so I didn't have to wait for them. Worked out well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Check your rear fenders on your Schwinn

I posted this under Schwinn Sid quality issues, but think it belongs here also.

This probably applies to all Schwinn bikes with fenders. I'd like your comments.

In my first week of ownership, I noticed paint was coming off my rear fenders, at the identical spot on both the right and left side. It looks crappy. It was clear the fender had been damaged, and been touched up prior sale by my LBS. I took the bike back today and was told that it's a shipping issue with the rear fenders on bikes. The front fenders are shipped unassembled, and are fine. They offered to touch it up, but I asked for a new fender. They said they will order one (or take one from another bike, but it probably won't be any better. The one Sid bike on the floor, also had a damaged fender. The LBS (Performance Bike in this case), touches them up prior to sale. The bike had not been rained on, on laid down. The normal riding vibration was causing the touchup paint to come off. This is unacceptable. The manufacturer could easily protect these fenders with minimal cost-pennies.

These are not performance bikes. They are cruising bikes. People buy them for comfort and looks. Styling (looks) were a major factor in my purchase decision. I am retired, and plan on babying this bike. I want to keep it pristine.

My wife says I am overreacting and she wouldn't be bothered. She doesn't ride bikes.
    I'd like to know if this would bother you.

I reckon y'all fixin to..
    Quote Originally Posted by sliderule43
    I posted this under Schwinn Sid quality issues, but think it belongs here also.

This probably applies to all Schwinn bikes with fenders. I'd like your comments.

In my first week of ownership, I noticed paint was coming off my rear fenders, at the identical spot on both the right and left side. It looks crappy. It was clear the fender had been damaged, and been touched up prior sale by my LBS. I took the bike back today and was told that it's a shipping issue with the rear fenders on bikes. The front fenders are shipped unassembled, and are fine. They offered to touch it up, but I asked for a new fender. They said they will order one (or take one from another bike, but it probably won't be any better. The one Sid bike on the floor, also had a damaged fender. The LBS (Performance Bike in this case), touches them up prior to sale. The bike had not been rained on, on laid down. The normal riding vibration was causing the touchup paint to come off. This is unacceptable. The manufacturer could easily protect these fenders with minimal cost-pennies.

These are not performance bikes. They are cruising bikes. People buy them for comfort and looks. Styling (looks) were a major factor in my purchase decision. I am retired, and plan on babying this bike. I want to keep it pristine.

My wife says I am overreacting and she wouldn't be bothered. She doesn't ride bikes.
    I'd like to know if this would bother you.
    Yes, this would really bother me. You are doing the right thing by having the shop/manufacturer replace this piece. You said you plan on babying your ride, and as you do with anything new and relatively expensive, you take care of it. That's excellent. But why have an issue with the bike (vanity or not) that you did not cause? Stick to your guns!
    "Good health is the slowest possible way one can die."