1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Newbie Rider
    Jun 2007

Schwinn Rocket Disc

Hello gang.

I'm interested in purchasing a decent mountain bike for all types of riding. I won't be riding exclusively on pavement but I won't be mudding it up every day either. I want a bike that will suit both purposes. I realize it won't ride as nice as a hybrid or road bike on the pavement and that is fine. I want the option to take it to the local trail and ride there without it breaking or bending either. There is a bike shop around the corner from my house that offers lifetime free adjustments. This seems like a very good perk to me. I'm not sure how widespread this is.

I was looking at the Schwinn Rocket with disc breaks. Would this fit the bill for what I'm looking for? Is it too much, too little, or junk? This bike is less than $600.

Newbie Rider
    Jun 2007
    So no one has one of these and can comment?

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=759

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have no personal experience with the model. The only thing I know is, that Schwinn Rocket(with V-brakes, hence cheaper), is very popular in my country. Actually, it is considered the only dirt worthy full suspension mountain bike in its price range(among those imported in here, we may have limited choice). For all I remember, Rocket disc comes with HMX-4 mech brakes. I have the previous model, HMX-2, they work well enough(that is, I never needed to use more than 1 finger on each lever for braking, even in pretty tough situations).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a 2003 Rocket (with hydraulic discs) and absolutely loved it. The geometry is really stable and the suspension design is top-notch as well (derived from the GT I-drive). Overall, it is a great all-around trail bike platform, worthy of keeping for a few years and upgrading as needed. The only cons are the slighty porky weight, and lots of moving parts in the suspension linkage. The weight doesn't really hinder things, and a good dealer can keep it tuned 'n tight.

Pricewise, Schwinn sells them with various trim/component levels, so finding one for your budget shouldn't be too tough. FWIW, the disks are nice, but don't be afraid of the v-brakes either. Main thing is getting the proper size rig and having good shop support. Good luck and a high recommendation on my part.

Former Bike Wrench
    The frame design is excellent, a nice derivative of the i-Drive. My reservations with most sub $800 full suspension bikes is the shock and fork. You simply get very un-serviceable products in these two areas at this price point. My opinion has always been (though the price barier keeps coming down, a few years ago I would have said $1000) is that if your going to spend under $800...spend it on a hardtail that will have a better fork, components, and brakes.

However, if you were to fit a 19" frame (about 5'10" to 6'1")...this is a much nicer deal for a bike with real serviceable suspension components
    2005 Jamis Dakar at JensonUSA

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by shoesobjects
    So no one has one of these and can comment?

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=759
    I am sorry to tell you but it is a piece of junk and do not waste you money on it. A FS for less than 1k is bad idea. You just can not get a quality fs for that cheap. I would say get a good quality hardtail for the same amount of money.