1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Schwinn frontier Elite

So I haven't mountain biked ever in my life.. No time and money etc. and yea school too.. But it has been my top priority hobby for a long time now..
    Graduating this month(ph.D) and moving to a new place.. small time research facility.. This is the point of my life where I have enough time and money for my hobbies.. MTBiking, Scuba diving and Piano

So I have done a decent research to get a new bike below $500 to start things off.. Intend to learn the basics and practice a lot to get better at biking on country trails..!

So what would you say would be the best hardtail bike for that buck ^ ($500).. I have my eyes set on Schwinn frontier Elitew.schwinnbikes.com/bikes/mountain/2012-frontier-elite-14367

I'm a newbie around these parts and trust you guys expertise to help me get my first bike
    Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Stay away from the Frontier.

Are you comfortable assembling your own bike? If you are, the options on Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties will give you the most value.

Dirty High Desert Guy
    I have no idea what size frame you need, but this is a MUCH better bike:

Commencal 2011 Premier Pro PSR Build from Departmentofgoods.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sock puppet View Post
    I have no idea what size frame you need, but this is a MUCH better bike:
    Looks awesome... I'm 6'1 feet tall.. would a 20-21" frame do good?
    thanks btw

EDIT: LOL.. had to remove link from the quote to be able to post ^.^

Dirty High Desert Guy
    Frames can be very different from model to model and manufacturer to manufacturer.

You should probably go to a Local Bike Shop (LBS) and try as many as possible. There is no replacement for personal, professional advice when it comes to fit.