1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Schwinn "Essence"

Hi,
    I recently bought a used (budget) bike. It says Schwinn Essence on the frame, but I cannot find out where one can get a similar one new. My spouse thinks I paid too much for this used bike whereas new ones can be had for the same price. I guess I'm trying to justify the quality of this one. I haven't biked ever as an adult and wanted to try this out couple of times a week to work and back. If this works out eventually, I was thinking of moving up to better models and weekend biking as well.

Anyway the bike frame says 4130 Chromo-moly and tires are Enduro 26 x 2 and seem in good shape.

Thanks for all the pointers.
    My first posting on this site.

Dakotan

There's no app for this.

It's a second branded bike

a chain of stores will have ordered up a line of bikes and then named the "Essence". Many mass manufacturers do this to sell more bikes.

It's not in the normal Schwinn lineup.

Welcome to the forums, cheers, Jim

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks Jim.
    So would you know how I could go about finding the source? or it just too difficult?
    Dakotan

There's no app for this.

Google showed zip

I can suggest you contact Schwinn and ask them, otherwise, if it's got Shimano low end parts and isn't an expensive bike, I'd just ride the devil out of it and enjoy the ride.

It could have come from any number of stores, but even if you discover that it came from say Target for example, they wouldn't be able to shed any more light on it.

Think of it like Michelin "XYZ" tires from Sears...only Sears carries them and they are made to Sears' specifications. The orly person that really knows about any of second brand product is the product manager for that firm that ordered it, and specified what (s)he wanted in the product. (S)he also will have invented the name like "Essence" ... this is common business practise.

Jim