1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Scheduled Maintenance?

I have a Trek hardtail that since the first of the year I have put a lot of miles on. I'm mechanically challenged so the only maintenence I do is washing, lubing and maybe adjust the gears if I'm feeling froggy. I bought the bike 5 or 6 years ago, road it steady for three years then it sat in the garage for two until I started riding again this January..

When I ride with anybody else my bike sounds like chitty chitty bang bang so I'm putting it in the LBS for a makeover. But what should I ask them to do? I know I need a bottom bracket overhaul and new chain and chainrings. Any suggestions as to what else to ask them to look at? Anything I should watch to make sure they don't rebuild the bike?

Thanks for any input!
    Last edited by Reno; 04-18-2006 at 11:24 AM.
    [SIZE="1"]
    It's a Sledgehammer.
    [/SIZE]

...the wave won't brek
    I would ask them to look at the bike and give you their impressions of what needs to be done.

Bikes are their bussness, and as long as you trust them you can have them do thre service they recomend.

Good Luck,

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthrax
    I would ask them to look at the bike and give you their impressions of what needs to be done.

Bikes are their bussness, and as long as you trust them you can have them do thre service they recomend.

Good Luck,

A

Thanks and you're right, I should trust them. I'd just like to sound a little more knowledgable! But, as usual, I'll just fake it!
    [SIZE="1"]
    It's a Sledgehammer.
    [/SIZE]

...the wave won't brek
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    Thanks and you're right, I should trust them. I'd just like to sound a little more knowledgable! But, as usual, I'll just fake it!
    No problem!

I think we all like to think we all like to sound like we know every thing

Remember this though ask them to do the things you do know about, that way they at least get fixed. Little things like checking shock pressure and stuff like that. That way you know it is getting done.

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    You'll probably need new brake pads if they havent been changed in a while. Maybe have them replace the brake and shifter cables. Have them look over the wheels to make sure the spokes are tensioned properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    You'll probably need new brake pads if they havent been changed in a while. Maybe have them replace the brake and shifter cables. Have them look over the wheels to make sure the spokes are tensioned properly.

You nailed it on the brake pads. And good call on the spokes. The brake and shifter cables are the kind of stuff I'll have to trust them on since I have no clue how to tell if they need to be replaced.

Thanks for the input. It's clear I'll have to make a list though due to a chronically short attention span!
    [SIZE="1"]
    It's a Sledgehammer.
    [/SIZE]

Humpmaster general
    I donít know. I would try to do the work myself. Here is my take on it.

Tune up $50
    fork service $45
    new chain $18
    new cassette $18
    new bottom bracket $20
    new brake pads $20
    labor to install the above parts $70

Are you spending more then 50% of the value of your 5 year old used bike to maintain it.

Maybe it is new bike time?
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hass
    I donít know. I would try to do the work myself. Here is my take on it.

Tune up $50
    fork service $45
    new chain $18
    new cassette $18
    new bottom bracket $20
    new brake pads $20
    labor to install the above parts $70

Are you spending more then 50% of the value of your 5 year old used bike to maintain it.

Maybe it is new bike time?

Another direct hit!

It's definitely new bike time and it's only going to get worse. I'm renting a full suspension bike in Moab next week and I'm sure my hardtail will never seem the same no matter how much dinero I put into it.

But with the price of new bikes and the cost of the trip I'm probably looking at next fall before that can happen which means another summer on the Trek plus I want to keep it as a second bike to get friends and family out on the trails so I don't want it to turn into a P.O.S. either. That's why I'll probably spend more than I should on the maintenance.

I've been riding it almost every day which is why I haven't tried any detailed maintenance myself. I know I'd screw something up and I'd be off the bike for a week or more trying to figure it out. Yet another reason for a decent second bike so once I do get a Fully I'll be a lot more confident doing my own work.
    [SIZE="1"]
    It's a Sledgehammer.
    [/SIZE]