1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

sale-bikes.com legit?

I was looking at google trying to find different prices in the Trek HiFi series and came across the sale-bikes.com site. So yeah, it has a 2011 Trek HiFi Pro listed for $1266. This can't be right. It has to be a scam right? I mean this is a bike that retails for $3620.

Just wanted to see what people thought of this. The company is apparently located in Indonesia. Is it common to see people running sites like this?

mtbr member
    Hmmm well sounds sketchy cause of the price and I wouldn't mess around with anything your not sure of when it comes to thousands of dollars!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well just to warn anyone who reads this, I did some searching and apparently there's a ton of bike scams that come out of Indonesia, so beware!

mtbr member
    Not to sound like a broken record.....If it sound to good to be true,it probably is. STAY AWAY.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I don't think Trek sale their bike online.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Indonesia seems to be a real center of these scams, not just in mountain bikes. In my years of hobbies ranging from dirt bikes to computers to mountain bikes and other things Indonesia comes up over and over. I have yet to see a legitimate business out of there (I am sure they do exist, but clearly in the minority). I believe Cool_Man is right that Trek doesn't allow online sales, and if they do they wouldn't allow discounts that heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    They'd be sold out at that price!
    I've been scouring the net for good deals on a yeti or SC. Starting to run into lots of these sites. They all seem to be out of India or something.
    I've been found several 2011 Yeti 575's for about $1800... I know that ain't right!
    Always check the mfg's site to find an authorized dealer... Net or otherwise!
    And no, as far as I've ever known and according to their website, Trek does not allow their bikes to be sold online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Indonesia seems to be a real center of these scams, not just in mountain bikes.
    Agree! Stay far away from those sites.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Here is the registration data for that domain (website address) - it was registered back in June, so the site is basically brand new. With that information, you can form your own conclusions about the company:

Registrant:
    sale-bikes.com
    Satria Nugroho (andikalich@gmail.com)
    Jl Keriahen No123
    Other
    Other
    Medan
    Sumatra Utara,20141
    ID
    Tel. +62.620000000
    Fax. +62.620000000

Creation Date: 02-Jun-2011
    Expiration Date: 02-Jun-2012

Domain servers in listed order:
    ns1.idwebhost.com
    ns2.idwebhost.com

Administrative Contact:
    sale-bikes.com
    Jl Keriahen No123
    Other
    Other
    Medan
    Sumatra Utara,20141
    ID
    Tel. +62.620000000
    Fax. +62.620000000

Technical Contact:
    sale-bikes.com
    Jl Keriahen No123
    Other
    Other
    Medan
    Sumatra Utara,20141
    ID
    Tel. +62.620000000
    Fax. +62.620000000

Billing Contact:
    sale-bikes.com
    Jl Keriahen No123
    Other
    Other
    Medan
    Sumatra Utara,20141
    ID
    Tel. +62.620000000
    Fax. +62.620000000

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Def fake. Ask yourself: why is there a naked chick in high heels at the top left corner? Unless they're SPD heels...she definitely cant clip in with those...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Would be nice if it was legit, the XTR build kit for less than the price of the brakes alone would be nice
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

mtbr member
    The best way to tell is go through checkout and if it asks for you to wire transfer the money via western union or something like that its a scam.

mtbr member
    That would be nice a Giant Anthem x for under 1000 beans I mean come on.

It probably works good people see that and get so excited they just send off the money. It makes me so mad I want to fly to Indonesia and find the guy and beat the snot out of him. I am sure they get lots of kids who save all summer to get a new bike and they think they find a good deal online and its some hunk of §hit in another country is scamming them. If I ever meet a fücker scamming people like this its on

workin' it Administrator
    remember a sucker is born every minute. Don't be that guy.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    remember a sucker is born every minute. Don't be that guy.
    100%

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

sale-bikes.com

Yes, if something looks too good to be true then it probably is! But on the other hand, why are we (cyclists) being fed this constant line of crap from the manufacturers about the cost of bikes?? I mean REALLY? C'mon- $10,000 and up for a friggin' carbon fiber road bike with Dura Ace??? STOP DRINKING THE KOOL AID!!! It can't cost that much to make a carbon fiber frame & fork!! A classic case in point is the thread-less headsets; we were told that they were better (and they are) and therfore we were charged more $$$$, but the reality is that they were developed to reduce the machining cost of the parts (cutting threads costs $$) so, the industry sells us a lie and charges us more for it. They saved money on the front end and charged more on the back end- good business for them (I love capitalism) bad savings for the end user. Point 2 compare all of the R&D, tooling and machining for a 250cc dirt bike (Honda, Kawa, Suzuki, etc) and then compare that to a equally priced F/S MTB; does that make any sense???
    So, When I see a $4,000 bike for $1,800- 1. I know that it is a counterfeit, 2, I also know that it was probably made in the same factory that the original one was; so, since they are on Paypal and therefore covered in their buyers protection- I was gonna roll the dice and see what happens- mostly because I'm just so pissed off at the ridiculously overpriced bicycle market!
    My 2 cents- take it or leave it.
    Ride on!!

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    $1266 is less that what a shop would have been able to buy the bike for. No bueno.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just went to the site to check it out, and was told "Account has been suspended" Guess that can answer anyone's questions on if its legit or not
    2011 29" Specialized Hard Rock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chri View Post
    I just went to the site to check it out, and was told "Account has been suspended" Guess that can answer anyone's questions on if its legit or not
    What sucks is that they prob scammed a bunch of people before that happened.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
    So, When I see a $4,000 bike for $1,800- 1. I know that it is a counterfeit, 2, I also know that it was probably made in the same factory that the original one was; so, since they are on Paypal and therefore covered in their buyers protection- I was gonna roll the dice and see what happens- mostly because I'm just so pissed off at the ridiculously overpriced bicycle market!
    Ride on!!
    The bikes aren't counterfeit, they just plain don't exist.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Roller View Post
    Yes, if something looks too good to be true then it probably is! But on the other hand, why are we (cyclists) being fed this constant line of crap from the manufacturers about the cost of bikes?? I mean REALLY? C'mon- $10,000 and up for a friggin' carbon fiber road bike with Dura Ace??? STOP DRINKING THE KOOL AID!!! It can't cost that much to make a carbon fiber frame & fork!!
    When I started road biking the only difference between high end road bikes and low end road bikes was the high end ones had fancier lugs and were built by someone in England or the eastern US and the low end ones were built buy some guy in asia.

Now you can get a base road bike that shifts better, rides better, weighs at least 4 pounds less and works better than my higher end fuji from 1984 and you can get it for under $1000. The way that that bikes exists is that over the years each version of the high end bike would advance, at significant cost to the marque as they tried new technologies, did research and development, learned about aluminum, learned about bonding carbon to aluminum then learned about aluminum. Each step is a huge step forward for bikes. WE now have high end bikes that can weigh 10lbs and are stiffer and stronger an more efficient than any bike ridden by Greg Lemond, Miguel Indurain and even Lance Armstrong at the tour de france.

I can buy a $3000 road bike that is stiffer and lighter and stronger and better performing than anything ridden by Greg Lemond and Miguel Indurain at the Tour de France.

For $1500 I can now buy a road bike that is stiffer and lighter and stronger and better performing than anything ridden by Greg Lemond at the Tour de France.

That is why super bikes cost super dollars because in 5 years that technology will be available to everyone at a price that most can afford but if you want to play with it now you pay.

A classic case in point is the thread-less headsets; we were told that they were better (and they are) and therfore we were charged more $$$$, but the reality is that they were developed to reduce the machining cost of the parts (cutting threads costs $$) so, the industry sells us a lie and charges us more for it. They saved money on the front end and charged more on the back end- good business for them (I love capitalism) bad savings for the end user
    This is a poor example. Headsets were a laborious and ugly part of bikes, builders and bike shops had to stock multiple lengths of forks to match any bikes given headtube length. You needed special tools to work on them. Getting them set properly was a process of trial and error and maintaining them was a pain. They not only had to retool for an easier product but they had to discard an entire standard that existed from the beginning of bicycles. They had to file patents or find ways around patents and they had to make a product that worked better than the existing and make it desirable.

But look now for $30 you can get a sealed bearing headset that is tunable with only a 5mm wrench, simple to maintain and work on and does its job without a thought. Without those expensive first examples and the people that bought them there would not be this. Trickle down at its best for a product we couldn't live without.

Point 2 compare all of the R&D, tooling and machining for a 250cc dirt bike (Honda, Kawa, Suzuki, etc) and then compare that to a equally priced F/S MTB; does that make any sense???
    This comparison makes no sense as a comparably priced dirt bike to a mountain bike, say a $3500 bike would designate a low end dirt bike and a higher end mountain bike. The volumes of sales will be much different and the tooling for a dirt bike company might be shared across a hundred models where as the tooling and supply for a FS mountain bike might be shared across 3 as in Niners case.

Ride on!!
    It might be made in the same factory as the original but so are the Subaru Imprezza and the Subaru WRX STI and I can tell you one of those is worth the premium you pay for it and one of those can't ever be expected to match the performance for the price. If you don't care for the performance, obviously the imprezza is the one for you but if you want the performance the imprezza won't do. This is just the basis of capitalism. If people want it they will buy it, companies will charge what they can, if it sells they will continue offering that model. If you don't like it vote with your dollars.

Just remember a 256k computer from Apple with no harddrive cost $4000 back in the day and it had a postage size monitor. Now your ipod has more processing power, better interface, color and only costs ~$300. If no one bought that original Apple where would we be today?
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just had a family member ask me if this site was legit... Leaving that question to be handled off the forums I went through the checkout process to see if I could get an Argon18 delivered to the US Importers address...........
    Only to find that there was no where for me to put in my stolen credit card number. Instead I was asked to wire money to a bank account. They were even professional enough to include this information in the final screen of the checkout process while thanking me for my order. Followed up by an email with the same information.

Oh the wild fun you can have on the internet today...

> /dev/null 2&>1
    +1 on rock crusher's answer, well said.

Dirt bikes certainly go through a lot of engineering but the product lifecycle cost analysis for motos is a completely different equation:

a) for r&d, tooling, supply chain costs, they are sharing these costs (in things like engines, brakes and suspension) across multiple lines of bikes (cruiser/sport/dirt/4 Wheeler/snow mobile)
    b) the r&d cost, and the initial tooling investment especially was definitely paid for by earlier higher end bikes a few years prior and is now a sunk cost, allowing them to churn out older generation tech for only the supply chain, materials, mfctr, and marketing cost. Early in the lifecycle of a new technology, high end product, r&d and tooling is 30-60% of the cost of the unit, depending on how the company decided to capitalize the investment in their books. Capitalization is an accounting method where the different costs of the product, though incurred up front, are distributed across a longer period of time in the books, usually a 3-5 year period, corresponding to the useful life of the product. Once all outstanding onetime r&d/tooling costs are completely 'depreciated' from the books, the incremental cost of the product (from an accounting perspective) is materials + manufacturing/assembly + marketing +supply chain and distribution, which, 5 yrs later, may only be 40% of the original cost to make it in its first year, hence the price being ~40% relative to the company's higher end model on the same year.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    They are sharing the costs in the bicycle area too. That is.. all these bike "manufacturers" are really designer/distributors. More and more of the frames are built in Taiwan in established frame factories. and spec'ed out with parts that are mass produced by the likes of Shimano, etc... for ALL bikes. (talk about shared costs I'd like to see a common transmission across that many motorcycles.) More likely the higher costs are more to do with overall volume than production costs per se. The only thing that is specific the bike manufacturers is the frame itself, the other parts are mass produced for everyone.
    I would like to see more looking across at the motorcycle world as they have been tweaking and adjusting steering geometry for a long time with a lot more R&D money.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

sale-bikes scam

re post below -- thank you soo much for this thread and info.
    i got REALLY excited when i found that website

(i would have only paid with a credit card because you can dispute the charges - wiring = scam.)

You have saved us all SO much trouble - and sigh i am very disappointed after thinking I'd get a specialized or a fuji for a fraction of the cost on a DISCOUNTED bike like you can get from bikes direct.

thank you (eventhough this discussions was long ago)

their website -sale-bikes is still up though!

s

Quote Originally Posted by dma528 View Post
    Just had a family member ask me if this site was legit... Leaving that question to be handled off the forums I went through the checkout process to see if I could get an Argon18 delivered to the US Importers address...........
    Only to find that there was no where for me to put in my stolen credit card number. Instead I was asked to wire money to a bank account. They were even professional enough to include this information in the final screen of the checkout process while thanking me for my order. Followed up by an email with the same information.

Oh the wild fun you can have on the internet today...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast