1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. safety gear for steep, technical stuff...and long climbs

I am getting really into biking down technical, steep terrain, with jagged rocks, loose dirt, roots, plants etc. I have already taken a few diggers and shed some blood. I feel like I should be wearing a lot more gear than an open face helmet, but I have to long climbs to get to the good stuff. What's the best way to go about being protected, while still being able to efficiently climb? (without having to lug gear around and keep taking it on and off, depending what the moment is)

mtbr member

Re: safety gear for steep, technical stuff...and long climbs

I use POC knee protection and g form elbow guards. Just leave the knee stuff loose on my shine until the descent. Works well for me and thus way there is no on/off issue.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good advice, thanks! I just picked up some SixOneSix knee guards and will keep 'em loose on the up.