1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Is it safe to use an MP3 player while mountain biking?

Okay, it's a stupid question but seriouly how unsafe is it? When I ride alone I find that listening to music make the biking process a lot more fun. I don't turn it up too loud and I can hear cars when I am on the road. When I am on the trail, I can't really hear anything as trails are often quite. This might be dangerous in Southern California as we have mountain lions out there. The MP3 player could be a distraction if there is a big critter hiding in the bushes. Other than that, how dangerous can it be?

mtbr member
    If I'm riding on the road or some simple single track, I'll wear my headphones, otherwise I'd much rather have the ability to hear what's going on with my bike, drivetrain noises etc.
    I live in Maine and I hate lobster.

shocks, pegs... lucky!
    it depends on the course and the traffic levels... courses that are more technical or have high traffic & require my attention also to my surrounding... then I'll either not wear it or keep the volume turned way down
    The kids love spinning their wheels... it's the best ;-)

banned
    It certainly can be very safe. It is all about common sense, how much of it you have, and the decisions you make as a result of it.

Get a remote volume control for starters.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    I like to enjoy some tunes while I ride.

I only plug in one earphone, so I've got one ear to hear what's going on around me. At that, it's not one of those plungers that blocks outside sounds, but an external earbud. Volume is generally low enough that the music competes with wind noises if I'm moving at a good clip, even on the flats.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    May 2007
    usually i use the one earphone method also. I kinda feel like one can never be too aware of the surroundings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I use just 1 earbud when riding solo. I feel its important to hear whats going on around you. Never know when your drivetrain starts to sound funny.

local trails rider
    I just find music a distraction when I am doing something interesting. Also, I like to have a maximum awareness of my surroundings whether in traffic or on trails. No music players for me please.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't understand wearing Ipods while riding. Isn't riding fun enough without music?

One-Winged Angel
    I'm not into it either, but hey, to each their own.

I like hearing things like the birds, the wind in the trees, the waterfalls, etc. It's part of the whole thing to me.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyjaydawg
    I don't understand wearing Ipods while riding. Isn't riding fun enough without music?
    Why don't you make your own thread about what you don't get? This thread is not about what you think is fun or unfun. It is not about what you don't understand regarding music and Ipods.

The question is if it can be or is safe or not to ride with an mp3 player. i.e., music. His other question was how dangerous it could be.

VDF
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just put in one ear

dh1
    mtbr member
    safety on your bike while listening to an MP3 player is all about situational awareness. If you tend to get lost in your music or get tunnel vision, it may not be a good idea...but if you can listen to music and pay attention it works fine.

Since you are asking for opinions, I would say if you are riding in and around other traffic, you should keep your volume down low enough that you can hear people coming up behind you to pass. I only say this because I scared the living $hit out of a woman tooling around on her bike the other day because she could not hear me and she was weaving back and forth on the path. I when I got close enough to get her attention, she was clearly startled to the point she almost went off the path opposite me. I was laughing to myself, but the problem is she was listening to her tunes and completely in her own world.

That being said, I often wear my MP3 when riding solo. But I keep to the edge of the trail so if someone faster comes up behind me they can pass without incident.

Think of it this way...deaf people can ride bikes just fine. They just use their other senses to make up for what they lack in hearing ability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dh1
    Think of it this way...deaf people can ride bikes just fine. They just use their other senses to make up for what they lack in hearing ability.
    I think this is an excellent point! This is exactly why having the headphones on is a bad decision, because we don't have those heightened senses!

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    I agree with one of the statements above...it all depends on the situation. When I go riding the trails up by the Chattahoochee River near my house...there is plenty of room both on the gravel walking trail and the mountain bike trails up in the woods for folks to pass...etc. I will wear my earphones when I am riding those trails b/c I am still aware of my surroundings...but not concerned with a rider coming from behind on an uphill b/c there is enough room for probably 3 riders side by side to pass.

If I am on single-track...I usually don't wear um'...or if I do I use the one ear method...simply being I am still a "newbie"...while my skills are vastly improved...I am not the fastest climber or MTB'er in general...so I do get passed by other riders and it is important to me not to screw up someone elses "flow" on the trail and be able to allow them to pass on the narrow track.
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I use an ipod on my road bike from time to time - at low volume I can still hear traffic coming up behind me from a fair distance.

Never on the MTBike - I can see it on long fire road climbs, but not on a descent. Too many variables. I've tried to pass riders - " On Your Left" only to get cut off or nearly crash - "Sorry, I didn't hear you!" or better yet come around a corner to find someone stopped in the middle of the trail answering a cell phone or putting an ear bud back in.

How about personal injuries caused by the distraction? A friend lost his ear bud on the dh, reached up in a flat with his right hand to put it back in, crested the next descent while play with his ipod, grabbed a handful of front brake - broken shoulder & 3 mon. off the bike!

Be respectful of others on the trail!

mtbr member
    on the trail, yeah I listen to music sometimes. I don't buy the argument that it's bad on high traffic trails, but the trails I ride on you can't pass without someone stopping and letting you - if you crash trying to overtake a moving bike it's your own fault.

On the road, with cars, wearing anything in your ear is asking to get hit. I don't care if you keep the volume low enough that you think you can hear, you can't.

and about the mountain lions, I'm sure this isn't much comfort, but iPod or no, if a puma is going after you, you aren't going to hear it or know it's there until it's too late. They hunt animals with much better hearing than you by stealth.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    how can you tell how fast you're going if you don't listen to the wind? NEway i always come up on dudes with ear pods on, they have no clue im behind them or that they are in my line, especially if they are stopped.... i vote no i podz

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    For the last thirty years, I've been riding sport bikes, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and downhill skiing and I find it a true kick in the ass to have a string of my favorite songs setting a, flow. some of my most memorable rides are now connected to (your favorite song here) my music, I ride always with two speakers rigged into my helmet(s) and have never ever had a problem hearing what's happening around me, though I've a well developed sixth sense, or I'd be fertilizing some farmer's crops by now (or dropped out the south end of a vulture).

Seriously speaking, I do watch the volume and l check my surroundings like a crack dealer in East Oakland...

Really seriously speaking, I envy those who don't need such a high level of risk taking excitement/behavior to enjoy the outdoors. I do go without the ipod more and more these days, and hope it turns into a trend. Good on Y,all who don't feel any need for extaneous auditory mood altering equipment.

Peace.

mtbr member
    I found the Azonic Surround Sound helmet to be really great! You can crank tunes and still hear the sounds around you. I think that is both safe and fun!

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    safe? I'd say no
    you cant hear other riders, and you cant hear things going wrong with the bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    In the state of Florida if you wear headphones while riding a bike you can be ticketed. It is against the law.
    http://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/pe..._bikeLaws2.htm

Wearing of headsets
    (Section 316.304(1), F.S.)

No person shall operate a bicycle while wearing a headset, headphone or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.

Comment: Use of such devices can be distracting. However, a cyclist should not rely on hearing when changing lane position, crossing intersections, etc. Sounds of an approaching vehicle may be masked by other traffic or, in some cases (bicycle, hybrid-electric car) too soft to be heard.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    you cant hear other riders, and you cant hear things going wrong with the bike
    I've heard of truck drivers who WILL NOT allow music in their trucks because they want to hear if there is anything wrong with it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jleecong
    In the state of Florida if you wear headphones while riding a bike you can be ticketed. It is against the law.
    http://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/pe..._bikeLaws2.htm

Wearing of headsets
    (Section 316.304(1), F.S.)

No person shall operate a bicycle while wearing a headset, headphone or other listening device, other than a hearing aid or instrument for the improvement of defective human hearing.

Comment: Use of such devices can be distracting. However, a cyclist should not rely on hearing when changing lane position, crossing intersections, etc. Sounds of an approaching vehicle may be masked by other traffic or, in some cases (bicycle, hybrid-electric car) too soft to be heard.
    That law applies to bikes on the road, not off-road. Most states have the same law.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    That law applies to bikes on the road, not off-road. Most states have the same law.
    I agree and figured someone would say that.

While reading this thread there were references to cars and other "traffic" oriented things. This would imply on-road. The very FIRST post...
    "I don't turn it up too loud and I can hear cars when I am on the road."

Also a lot of my trails are state owned/operated. Most also connect to "multi" trails. If they wanted they could try to push it as DOT controlled since it is state property. Again do what you want (I'm not your mom), but as far as I can tell safe bet would be no headphones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast