1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Saddle Width

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Saddle Width

I currently have a WTB Pure V on my mountain bike. It is 145mm wide and after a couple of hours riding it feels uncomfortable (on short rides its ok). I went to my LBS and I got measured by the specialized kit. The shop assistant said I need 155mm saddle width. Does 1cm make such a difference? Thanks.

T.W.O.
    If that's your sit bone width then yeah, however it not easy finding wide saddle. Wtb is pretty good I usually go with my wtb first if I'm off the bike for a few months, then change it to a narrower saddle later.

mtbr member
    It really does. In shoes even a 5 mm difference in length is noticeable. These look like insignificant measurements on paper or on short rides, but as you've noticed it gets uncomfortable after a while.

I just got my sitbone width measured as well and found that most of my saddles are too narrow for me. I always thought narrow saddles are OK because I'm skinny, but it appears that I've given birth at some point and never noticed: I'm also in the 155 mm league. I've tried different heights, fore-aft settings, nose down, nose up, nose level... Nothing helped much, but I have noticed a clear difference between different saddles.

Does your LBS have test saddles?

T.W.O.
    Specialized body geometry make one I think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    yes, i am going for the specialized milano 155mm. it comes out as 175 as well. thanks for the answers btw

mtbr member
    Here's one
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo View Post
    I currently have a WTB Pure V on my mountain bike. It is 145mm wide and after a couple of hours riding it feels uncomfortable (on short rides its ok). I went to my LBS and I got measured by the specialized kit. The shop assistant said I need 155mm saddle width. Does 1cm make such a difference? Thanks.
    Yes it does. I got properly fitted for a seat at the local Spesh dealer and it showed I had a big a$$ and needed the 155mm. Went with the recommendation even though I was skeptical of getting a thinly padded seat (I had another race seat earlier and my crotch hurt for weeks even after I switched to a thickly padded gel seat - I was therefore apprehensive) but the guy assured me that if I didn't like it I could take it back. So after switching to the Specialized Phenom Expert, I haven't had any problems with pain from my lower areas.

-S
    Last edited by shibiwan; 12-05-2012 at 02:25 PM.

T.W.O.
    175mm would be really nice That said keep the WTB handy, the more you ride the narrower saddle you'd want, funny how it feels more comfortable when you ride more, the big saddle tends to get in the way and "rub" you the wrong way

mtbr member
    You really change saddle width according to the "break-in" of your butt? I would imagine it allows you to reduce padding, but the sitbone width shouldn't vary. Unless you get into a more aggressive position, which does call for a narrow saddle.

I commute 20 clicks every day and add to that my road trips for fun and mountain biking. My commuter and road fixie has a 143 mm Specialized Avatar on it (my recommended width is 155 mm) and while it's better than any previous saddle I've had, I haven't gotten the least bit used to it over time. It's great for an hour or two, but then I get numb or sore between the legs. When I get the 155 mm saddle I doubt I will ever want to switch back to narrower ones. I've already beaten one saddle to pieces with a sledgehammer after I got sick of all the pain it was causing. Back then I had no idea that you could get different widths, I tried to get used to it and got frustrated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Interesting

mtbr member
    The nomenclature is sometimes misleading on seats. To get a wider with a few choices the 'womens' models are the way to go. The vast majority do not have anything saying what they are other than packaging, so get what fits. I've known guys with gal seats for that reason and gals with guy seats for the other way around.

mtbr member
    I was afraid using a women's saddle would turn me into a homosexual, so I just got a 155 mm Specialized Romin to protect my delicate masculinity.

So far it feels great in between the legs. My bum still needs to get used to it a bit, but I think all saddles are like that and you get used to them after a while. The important thing is that my wee-wee doesn't go numb during rides anymore.

(Disclaimer: in case you don't understand irony too well, let me be clear about the first paragraph: I don't really swing in prejudiced ways.)

I4NI
    This works for me. I have two set ups on seatpost. Silverado(flat) & Speed V(round)
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    And then bring in the Adamo's... I tried all those seats-- wtb-cobb- spec-- 143/155.. I couldnt get comfy or feel supported-- plus id go numb after about a hour-- regardless of the seat id get or the position id put it in.. Then tried the adamo--problem solved.. You would think those bars would make it uncomfy and not support you as well-- but it does just the opposite.. Now i can do 3 or 4 hour rides np.. Instead of just sitting on your butt bones-- with the adamo you sit on your butt bones but also get support from your lower pelvic area.. Its weird at first but once it clicks-- its heaven.. Just thought id toss this out for people having problems with their seats..

Btw.. my gf is learning how to mtb and was getting so sore (down there) she could barely ride the bike... Ended up getting her a adamo and now she can ride with no pain.. Hope this helps people having problems with numbness and pain while riding..

ps-- i know they are funky looking but when they are on the bike- -they dont look that bad at all..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Markleo View Post

Depends , a different shape 145 may work fine, tilt-fore-aft may be off, my saddle of choice works great with the right shorts whatcha wearing?