1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: saddle question

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

saddle question

I went and did the specialized body geometry saddle width test at my lbs. He set me up with a romin expert gel 168mm. ( widest avail i think ) It is a level 1 padding road seat. I am saddle sore after my rides. Should i try one with a little more padding? Any other seats that wide i can check out? Or should i just get used to this one?

I'd rather be on my bike
    Are you wearing anything under your shorts/tights? I highly recommend a chamois liner. It will also take some time to get adjusted to the saddle. How long did you ride and how many times? Are you just getting started on a bike or have you been riding a while?
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3019/2500

It takes a few rides to adjust to any saddle. And that's if you're used to sitting on one at all. If you're new to riding entirely, it will take longer. Shorts with a good chamois will help, but won't prevent soreness altogether.

I strongly prefer saddle demos, to be honest. The ass-o-meter is a selling tool and I think a lot of shops that use them, do so in the absence of an actual demo program. I think it is a useful tool to help narrow choices for an appropriate demo program. There's more to saddle choice than just the width. The profile, the shape of the nose, the amount of padding, the presence/shape of the cutout or channel (or complete lack thereof) are all things that need to be accounted for that the ass-o-meter doesn't address.

In your case, since you have it and are kinda stuck with it, I'd give it a number of rides before making a final decision on how to proceed. Worst case scenario, the shop won't take it as a return, and you can sell it to recoup some costs and try to find a real saddle demo program with several choices. Best case, once you've adjusted to it, you find it to be comfortable and stick with it.