1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    4od
    mtbr member
    May 2008

S-Works Enduro + IH Warrior 5.0

I can get great deals (400 each) on a lightly used S-works Enduro Frame and a brand new Iron Horse Warrior 5.0. Would it make sense to purchase each and just take the components (x.7 front/x.9 rear, juicy 3, tora) and wheels/rotors from the Warrior and put it onto the Enduro?

I ride a lot and have a lot of experience fixing bikes, but in the past I have dealt primarily with low end Walmart-ish bikes. Would it be significantly different/more difficult to transfer high-end components?

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Makes sense to me. Components are components- if anything, higher end are a bit more user friendly. If you have the time/inclination to do it with a low-end bike, you will be just fine doing it on these. If need be, have a shop transfer the headset and bottom bracket, as those are the only two components that could really jack up your new frame.

4od
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    What do you think is the honest likelihood of doing serious damage to my frame during BB and stem transfer?

How tough is it to transfer hydro brakes without refilling them?

And are there any particularly crappy components (aside from the juicy 3s) that i should replace from the IH Warrior 5.0 spec?

Ride the dream
    What year is the frame? Its probably an AM frameset, meaning its designed for fairly long forks (do you know what the original spec was?).

You'd probably find that fork drastically too short (result - ridiculously steep head angle).

Honest likelyhood of doing damage transferring headset and BB? Way too high to be acceptable - the possible outcome is either a totally wrecked frame, or an even more expensive shop bill to sort out the mess, definately not worth the risk.

You could well find that the wheelset isnt capable of handling the riding an enduro would deal with - it probably wouldnt take AM worthy tires too well either.

Its your call, but they are totally different kinds of bike, and though the drivetrain would work ok, you might find that more expensive parts would need to be changed (Fork, wheelset, brakes)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    OK, let's see - I was assuming this is an older frameset if it is priced at $400. They have slowly increased the spec'd travel for this frame, so be sure to check the mfg recommendation.

I see this as an opportunity for you to get a good frame and get components on it quickly. Front derailleur might not be compatible, and the seatpost might not either.

For both BB and HS, you need special tools. Paying the shop one time is cheaper than buying the tools, especially if you aren't comfortable doing it.

Also, you don't need to cut the hydro line, you can just take them off. The cables might be too short/long, so YMMV.

Ride the dream
    I see why you could make that assumption - then again, theres nothing saying its a new frameset, or a new warrior...

They could both be secondhand for all we know.

4od
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    What year is the frame? Its probably an AM frameset...
    Its 2003 or 4, but i'm pretty sure that it is really meant more as a rugged endurance XC - its very light and really doesn't have much travel - only 4 inches if i recall correctly, and the name is "enduro."

What factors determine seatpost/front dérailleur compatibilty

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by 4od
    Its 2003 or 4, but i'm pretty sure that it is really meant more as a rugged endurance XC - its very light and really doesn't have much travel - only 4 inches if i recall correctly, and the name is "enduro."

What factors determine seatpost/front dérailleur compatibilty
    In that case, the fork wont be too long....

Infact, in general the parts should transfer fairly well - length of the brakelines might not match though (but you can get those changed or put different brakes on altogether).

Im still curious about certain things though - is this frame NEW or secondhand?
    If its new, what warrenty has been offered on it, if its secondhand, do you know how hard its been pushed?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishT
    In that case, the fork wont be too long....

Infact, in general the parts should transfer fairly well - length of the brakelines might not match though (but you can get those changed or put different brakes on altogether).

Im still curious about certain things though - is this frame NEW or secondhand?
    If its new, what warrenty has been offered on it, if its secondhand, do you know how hard its been pushed?
    Certainly not new (either) at those prices.

40d - Do a search for "crack enduro" on the specialized forum so that you know where to look for cracks on this frameset. They have some known issues.

4od
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    The frameset was "used but in great condition" (craigslist) and the Warrior is legit new.

Do you think it would be better to run my m485s or the juicy threes (and which rotors are better)?

4od
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oh, and the frame comes with a seatpost, will i be able to transfer the saddle to the post?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 4od
    Oh, and the frame comes with a seatpost, will i be able to transfer the saddle to the post?
    yes

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you are wondering what damage you could do to your frame by removing/installing a headset and BB, you're best to take it to a shop. I'm fairly confident in my wrenching abilities, but would be hesitant to remove/install a headset myself. I've done a BB install, and it was pretty straightforward, but if you are already getting the shop to do a headset, might as well do the BB as well. This way they can set chain line up properly too.

Good luck mate,

Tim

4od
    mtbr member
    May 2008
    Any clue aroudn how much a bb/headset install would cost at my LBS?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ...really....someone on this board is going to know how much wrench work at your LBS is gong to cost? Why not call someone who could tell you exactly how much.....hmm... like your LBS?

While I agree that these forums are a great resource for information, at some point you have to do some leg work yourself, rather than getting answers spoon-fed to you. That is a major problem that online forums have...people want all the answers without doing any work themselves.

Tim