1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

RS recon silver R 2011 fork for '99 moab 2

is it worth it? the '99 RS judy c that came with it isn't really smoothing out anything on the downhill and being lightweight at 120# isn't helping... i'm seeing less than 63mm of travel. pretty sure the frame will take 100mm travel at the most as the fork back then had an option for 80mm and so give or take 20mm from what i'm reading here.

don't think saving up for a newer/second bike is an option right now. plus this bike is in near mint condition with pretty good components imho (XTR rear der, LX front der, XTR rear vbrake, deore hydros front m525 with deore XT disc hub). a pretty nice moab2 sounds really good to me, too. any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The main problem you have with your current fork is going to need solving with any other partial coil spring fork. The spring needs to be matched to your weight to place its compression and rebound damping in the right range. On the Sram site under Service to Rockshox to 2013 Parts to Recon they list a Coil/Shaft Assy available in x-soft and soft. The weight ranges are something a Sram tech will have to help you determine. Order the part from a LBS and do the service. Your bike should see a major improvement. The air on this fork will let you set the sag

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I replaced a Judy XC on a '97 GT Avalanche with a 2012 Recon Silver Solo Air. I ran it for a week at 100mm but it handled terribly. I dropped it to 80mm travel and it's been great. It was definitely worth the change in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The main problem you have with your current fork is going to need solving with any other partial coil spring fork. The spring needs to be matched to your weight to place its compression and rebound damping in the right range. On the Sram site under Service to Rockshox to 2013 Parts to Recon they list a Coil/Shaft Assy available in x-soft and soft. The weight ranges are something a Sram tech will have to help you determine. Order the part from a LBS and do the service. Your bike should see a major improvement. The air on this fork will let you set the sag
    I was thinking that, too! can't find the soft spring assembly for my current fork though. the manual is pretty vague on the spring parts and compatibility. it would be cheaper but still leave me with only preload adjustments. on the other hand, it'll be easy to find the matching spring for last year's fork at the cost of $$$. will do some more research.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchg View Post
    I replaced a Judy XC on a '97 GT Avalanche with a 2012 Recon Silver Solo Air. I ran it for a week at 100mm but it handled terribly. I dropped it to 80mm travel and it's been great. It was definitely worth the change in my opinion.
    Thanks for sharing your experience Solo Air would be nice, no springs to change. I saw a really good deal on the coil version of it but without the Motion Control system at Pricepoint.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by db_8 View Post
    I was thinking that, too! can't find the soft spring assembly for my current fork though. the manual is pretty vague on the spring parts and compatibility. it would be cheaper but still leave me with only preload adjustments. on the other hand, it'll be easy to find the matching spring for last year's fork at the cost of $$$. will do some more research.

Thanks for sharing your experience Solo Air would be nice, no springs to change. I saw a really good deal on the coil version of it but without the Motion Control system at Pricepoint.
    I think someone on this forum recently picked up an RS Recon Silver Solo Air for like $200 off Amazon... maybe check there.

-S

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    At your weight I'd do some actual test riding on a new bike with the fork you are interested in if you are thinking solo air. Make sure you get them to set the pressure down to your weight level. Otherwise the air platform will wipe out small bump compression. A dual air Reba or Manitou with Absolute+ and the small helper spring can be set up for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Would the spring rating affect the fork travel? Or just sag/preload? Any coil forks I assume would come with stock springs (medium).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It affect the travel most noticeably over small to medium bumps. Not by limiting travel but creating a threshold before it moves much. The stock spring is probably a firm aimed at 175lb riders unless a bike is woman specific.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Seems like I'll be better off getting an air fork from the start seeing as switching out springs would pretty much be like a rebuild. Unless there's women specific forks being sold as opposed to a whole bike lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    I think someone on this forum recently picked up an RS Recon Silver Solo Air for like $200 off Amazon... maybe check there.

-S
    I ended up refusing it and got the Manitou Minute Expert from CRC, which can still be had for $200 shipped.

Amazon raised the price on the Recon SoloAir to ~$300.

Everyone in my thread convinced me to go with the Manitou due to its highly superior damper.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by db_8
    Seems like I'll be better off getting an air fork from the start seeing as switching out springs would pretty much be like a rebuild. Unless there's women specific forks being sold as opposed to a whole bike lol.
    Yes, an air-sprung fork is more versatile and would probably work better for you. It does require a little more care and maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by hadeone View Post
    I ended up refusing it and got the Manitou Minute Expert from CRC, which can still be had for $200 shipped.

Amazon raised the price on the Recon SoloAir to ~$300.

Everyone in my thread convinced me to go with the Manitou due to its highly superior damper.
    Hmm... I would have steered you away. Manitou's quality control is hit or miss... but then again that may have been their older stuff. The Manitou SX MRD on my old Klein Mantra is practically dead - all the fluid leaks out and it can't be rebuilt because the plastic bottom seal-nut completely disintegrated when I tried to take it off.

I did just pick this up - waiting for it to arrive in a day or two:
    Rockshox Revelation XX WC Da Fork 2011 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

-S

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    From what I've been reading the past couple of weeks, everyone on this forum is raving about the Manitou Minute, both Expert and Pro. Mainly about the Absolute+ damper. I have no experience yet so we shall see.

That Rev fork you got seems great but I don't see myself spending that much for a fork yet.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeone View Post
    From what I've been reading the past couple of weeks, everyone on this forum is raving about the Manitou Minute, both Expert and Pro. Mainly about the Absolute+ damper. I have no experience yet so we shall see.

That Rev fork you got seems great but I don't see myself spending that much for a fork yet.
    I felt kinda guilty spending that sort of cash but I figured I'd make up for it by selling my old Talas so it works out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    lol same here. trying to not spend more than the price of the bike...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I got my Recon Silver TK Solo Air for $175 before tax from Performance during summer. Just had to be patient.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    wow good price! after researching, i've decided on the Recon Silver tk solo air also and will wait for deals this year-end. will keep track on pricepoint, CRC, performance bike and amazon. any other suggestion for shops to watch out for?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by db_8 View Post
    wow good price! after researching, i've decided on the Recon Silver tk solo air also and will wait for deals this year-end. will keep track on pricepoint, CRC, performance bike and amazon. any other suggestion for shops to watch out for?
    Have you researched these threads? They helped me make my decision.

Fork ?, Rock Shox or Marzocchi

Fork replacement?

Help Choosing An XC Fork

Worth upgrading to Recon Silver TK SoloAir?

I read thru a lot more but these are the ones I could recall, including the last one which I started, asking for help.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    thanks! yes i saw those threads, read through them too and helped me with the decision sorry if this thread seemed similar but my original question was regarding putting it on a '99 frame. found my answer and topic shifted to what type and which one. now it turned out to another fork thread lol sorry about that

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    saw this:

Ben's Cycle Vendio Store

is this site legit? pondering on getting this spring if so... and might grab the new updated seals, too

SID®/JUDY®/PILOT® SEAL KIT

would be significantly cheaper with a bit of work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ordered the soft spring kit and new wiper/seal. will rebuild the fork and install these and see if it gets better then decide if i should still get better forks or just save up for a new bike i know a lot more stuff now and i think my riding style is all-mountain, no racing, don't mind climbing at my own pace and want to have fun and be smooth on the downhill but be able to take those technical parts. my current bike is more or less XC type but will try to work on converting it to all-mountain. i'm itching for full suspension but that's out of my reach right now.