1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Rove Ti sizing

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Rove Ti sizing

Not exactly mtb but have read some postings about the Rove via search. This is also my first post here so I'm certainly one of those noobs. My wife and I have been riding a lot of gravel and light trails on one of our tandems I fitted with some 700x 35c tires. This got me craving an offroad capable (not serious single track stuff) bike that could also perform other functions like commuting and pavement riding. I contacted the local dealer, and the next closest 4 hrs away, and neither of them had any Rove's (or any kona road bikes) on hand that I could check out and to be honest they weren't the most helpful when it came to answering questions...pretty much referred to the website. At 5'6" I'm thinking the the 49cm would be the best fit, it seemed to have the most similar top tube and standover as my 53cm '86 Bianchi but I'm new to the whole sloping top tube design. Would appreciate any feedback if someone else of similar height has picked up a Rove Ti, or really anything helpful about personal knowledge of the bike.
    Thanks.
    mntandem

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Not sure if you've purchased yet, I am 5'6" (30" inseam) and have a 49cm Kona Jake the Snake and it fits like a glove. I am looking at the Rove Ti as a build project as well.

If you have purchased, tell me what you think!

Fat-tired Roadie
    All compact geometry bikes have more standover clearance. It's mostly not an issue anymore.

You can get good insight by looking at the top tube length of your Bianchi and comparing it to the ETT of the Rove. You could also use reach and drop. (Google it. It's an interesting read.)

Be cautious of little 'cross bikes. I notice the angles get weird on the smallest Roves, and the reach doesn't change much.

FWIW, I really like my Kona Jake and Hei Hei. I'm not trying to trash-talk the brand. What I hear from some of the women on my team is just that it's hard to make a road bike with clearance for fat tires, the usual angles, and the right dimensions for a smaller rider.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    my 49cm Jake the Snake has been a workhorse for the me and the other girls on my team that bought them...we are all running 700x33c's which have no clearance issues and it's one of the most comfy bikes I own. I have also done several gravel rides and a couple gravel races on it without any issue (other than canti brakes suck for both cross and gravel races)...

All that being said, if you have small hands, the reach on the shifters can be a challenge. But in the case of the Rove Ti - you'd be building it out yourself so you can make the necessary adjustments (ergo bars, SRAM components, etc)...

I am not a Kona cheerleader, but can say I am very happy with my JtS and really want to hear some feedback on the Rove Ti....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

rove ti purchase

Thanks for everyone's comments and feedback. I did end up buying a Rove ti frameset. Just about have all the parts together to build it up but haven't got started yet. Hopefully have it together by next weekend or shortly after. The welds and overall frame is spectacular but Lynskey probably doesn't put anything less out. I went with the 49cm and I think it is going to fit perfectly, the standover seems like it should be spot on and the Eff TT is about identical to my old Bianchi. My inseam is in the 30.5-31" range. Went with 11spd Ultegra, White/ A23 rear wheel, mix of other stuff. The tire clearance is exceptional. A 35c Passela (measures actual 38mm) has about 8mm of clearance between the tire and chainstays on each side. If I need to fit something larger than this frame can handle I should probably be on a mountain bike. Once I get some miles on it I'll post more feedback.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Curious as to how the bike fit you once built out as I'm 5'7" and just ordered a 49cm this past weekend. What components did you go with? Do you have a pic of the complete bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Parlos View Post
    Curious as to how the bike fit you once built out as I'm 5'7" and just ordered a 49cm this past weekend. What components did you go with? Do you have a pic of the complete bike?
    The frame fits and rides terrific although I'm still contemplating a few handlebar/ saddle adjustments. Plenty of standover room, frame is certainly stiff and smooth but I haven't aired up some 28c Gatorskins on it yet for a direct comparison. I ended up putting Ultegra 11speed on it, 50/34 rings, 11-32 cassette. Salsa bar & stem. Had someone build a back wheel using a White Ind hub & 32h A23 rim. Picked up an A23 equipped front wheel online. WoundUp Tandem Duo fork on the front (removed from one of our tandems- was too flexy for the tandem but works great on the Rove but no eyelets). Avids front and rear- already had on hand. Running Conti TourRide 700x35 or 38- too muddy to read right now but tons of frame clearance left. My biggest regret is not going with some older Campy 10spd brifters (what I run on our road tandem) as the Ultegra seems a bit finicky and rear wheel choices are very limited- definitely go with something a little more standard. I have been using the kmc missing link in the chain without any issues but supposedly the links are not reusable. I don't own a mountain bike so this is the closest thing I have and seems to do pretty well but it's certainly not a mountain bike. It sees more pavement, packed dirt/gravel roads and I have no complaints other than I need to get a bigger selection of tires for varied conditions. I think the frame is near indestructible with excellent build and ride, I wouldn't go with the 11spd stuff if I had to do it againRove Ti sizing-rove-first-ride.jpg.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    mntandem,

What size stem are you using?

I really want to get the Rove Ti, but have some sizing concerns. I am about 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I pretty confident the 53cm would be way to tall. At the same time, I have a little bit of concern that the TT would be to short for the 49cm.

Thanks,

jjohn06

Quote Originally Posted by mntandem View Post
    The frame fits and rides terrific although I'm still contemplating a few handlebar/ saddle adjustments. Plenty of standover room, frame is certainly stiff and smooth but I haven't aired up some 28c Gatorskins on it yet for a direct comparison. I ended up putting Ultegra 11speed on it, 50/34 rings, 11-32 cassette. Salsa bar & stem. Had someone build a back wheel using a White Ind hub & 32h A23 rim. Picked up an A23 equipped front wheel online. WoundUp Tandem Duo fork on the front (removed from one of our tandems- was too flexy for the tandem but works great on the Rove but no eyelets). Avids front and rear- already had on hand. Running Conti TourRide 700x35 or 38- too muddy to read right now but tons of frame clearance left. My biggest regret is not going with some older Campy 10spd brifters (what I run on our road tandem) as the Ultegra seems a bit finicky and rear wheel choices are very limited- definitely go with something a little more standard. I have been using the kmc missing link in the chain without any issues but supposedly the links are not reusable. I don't own a mountain bike so this is the closest thing I have and seems to do pretty well but it's certainly not a mountain bike. It sees more pavement, packed dirt/gravel roads and I have no complaints other than I need to get a bigger selection of tires for varied conditions. I think the frame is near indestructible with excellent build and ride, I wouldn't go with the 11spd stuff if I had to do it againClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Rove first ride.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	879735.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Great looking bike and thanks for the info. I can't wait for mine to come in. I also ordered the new Kona Carbon Project 2 that will be available in April. Thanks for the heads up on going 11spd, I'll keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Parlos View Post
    Great looking bike and thanks for the info. I can't wait for mine to come in. I also ordered the new Kona Carbon Project 2 that will be available in April. Thanks for the heads up on going 11spd, I'll keep that in mind.
    When is it estimated to come in? Bikeman webpage is saying July.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Frk View Post
    When is it estimated to come in? Bikeman webpage is saying July.
    Originally it was April and I checked with my shop today and they still don't have a ship date. I sure hope it's not July.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    5'9" riders out there, what size Rove do you have? Anyone on a 53cm? I currently have a 56 cm Cross Check, but find it a touch too big in the reach and stand over. The 56 cm Rove has very similar geometry to the CC. Like every pair of pants I buy I'm worried I'm in between sizes once again. If they'd only make a 54.5 cm bike! I'll have to get out and try one soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Rove Ti sizing

I'm 5'9" and ride a 53" Rove. It's the 2014 steel frame though, and I'm not sure if the ti geometry is different/same. 53" fits me great - very comfy on long rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks ChrisInYpsi. That's reassuring.