1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Rokken with Dokken

Rode the entire trail without stopping!

When I ride, I usually stop fairly often, either to catch my breath, enjoy a view ... or to pick myself up off the ground. But today I decided I'd try riding a trail I frequent non-stop from start to finish. Mostly because I'm doing my first race this weekend, but also just to see if I could.

The trail is about 12 miles, mostly singletrack but with some double mixed in. Mostly rolling terrain with some decent climbs, but nothing extreme. Not rocky but there are lots of roots.

I'm happy to say that not only did I make it the entire distance, I think I actually felt better at the end of the ride than when I started. About halfway through I was really feeling in the groove and I was in attack mode the entire time instead of just trying to get through it.

I've only been riding seriously for about a year now, so obviously, any elite dude or dudette would have blown past me, but I was riding hard and felt so stoked at the end that I was ready to ride the loop again. And I would have if the sun wasn't going down.

The race is 10 miles (beginner level), so I feel reasonably good about being able to ride strong the entire distance. Of course, racing is an entirely different animal, so we'll see. Either way, today was definitely a great day.

mtbr member
    Good luck in the race

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hells yeah. the only meaningful goals are the ones we set for ourselves, and it sounds like you met a goal that was difficult, but possible. w00+.
    A warning: I only post when I've been drinking, unless it is during the day when I am distracted by more important things.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    I tend to find that any time it's a race, I can go well beyond what I would normally do on a casual ride. If you're anything like me, then being out there under race conditions will mean you're not only pushing harder but able to complete it just as easily.

The fact that you can go beyond the distance, assuming the terrain is similar, is good.

When I did a recent enduro, the most I had ever done was a lap at a time/one lap a day, which would at that point take me 1h40m the week before. The fast guys, on the day, were doing it in 51m - on the day I was down around 1:25 on a good lap, but I also did 4 laps that day (85km total).

You'll very quickly see what I mean when you get out there. You might feel stuffed, but that just means you did close to (or did) your best.

Rod
    That was a great ride. As you have pointed out you have already progressed a lot. Keep it up and set REALISTIC goals, like you have done, for yourself. Good luck in the race. Post how you do here. I've been riding about 2 years now and my first race is going to be this August. I have been riding a lot lately and I'm already excited about it. I imagine you're feeling the same way.

I post too much.
    Awesome! 'grats!

Good luck for the race!

I play hard to want
    I've never completed the course I usually ride without stopping, but my GPS (Garmin Gpsmap 60Csx) tells me things like average speed while moving, time stopped, etc. so I try to decrease my total time stopped each ride.
    It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.