1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

RockyMountain VP-135 DH Clipless

My old Shimano pedals are crap now so I am out searching for a new pair. I found these by Rocky Mountain http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=24907 but I know very little about them or the sizing. I thought all clipless fit the same, give or take that rare instance. Any help with these would be great and any reviews would be equally appreciated as there are none up at the time. Thanks.

brderj

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brderj
    My old Shimano pedals are crap now so I am out searching for a new pair. I found these by Rocky Mountain http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=24907 but I know very little about them or the sizing. I thought all clipless fit the same, give or take that rare instance. Any help with these would be great and any reviews would be equally appreciated as there are none up at the time. Thanks.

brderj
    I would happily take a pair of Shimano pedals over those ones any day. The Shimano SPD system is one of the best clipless systems available. Another one that is very highly rated is the crank brothers system.

The Crank Brothers system sheds mud better, so if you ride in a wet environment then those could be a better option for you.

As far as having a clipless pedal with a cage on it I would not bother. When you are clipped in you are not actually touching the cage, and most clipless shoes have a hard plastic sole that cant grip the cage when you are not clipped in anyhow.

My $.02

TJ

mtbr member
    Thanks TJ. I suppose I was under the impression that SPD were all the same. I was looking for the whole cage set up for stop and go riding. On top of riding my bike in the mountains, I will also be riding it on the street. Thanks for the help,

brderj

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brderj
    Thanks TJ. I suppose I was under the impression that SPD were all the same. I was looking for the whole cage set up for stop and go riding. On top of riding my bike in the mountains, I will also be riding it on the street. Thanks for the help,

brderj

For a street day/run to the corner store just pick up a set of cheap flat pedals. Takes less then 3 minutes to swap pedals.