1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Rockshox reba v Tora 289

Just been offerred a Reba race fork, I already have a Tora 289 and was wondering if it's worth the upgrade?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Oh hell yes. MUCH better fork. Plus over a pound lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    "It's amazing how people can make bicycle riding seem so complicated on the internet."

Former Bike Wrench
    HUGE upgrade...the 289 is a Dart 2 with 32mm legs

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Doh! Send that Reba my way if you don't want it--I've a Tora 289 I'm dying to replace, as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Cool, best thing is it's totally FREE. just gotta get hold of him before he gives it someone else now.... Hope I don't miss it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    it's a great fork, especially since it's free.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    That's a steal, snatch it up!
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Trying to, but I've just been told it's been sat outside for a year, out of the rain and dry but still open to the elements, cold etc so it may require a good service I guess. I think there are some other parts as well, in fact a whole bike maybe but I don't want a hardtail so might just upgrade mine with stuff off his, cause it's higher end than mine, if it's not all rust that is

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xdeity
    Trying to, but I've just been told it's been sat outside for a year, out of the rain and dry but still open to the elements, cold etc so it may require a good service I guess. I think there are some other parts as well, in fact a whole bike maybe but I don't want a hardtail so might just upgrade mine with stuff off his, cause it's higher end than mine, if it's not all rust that is
    As long as it wasn't getting rained on or covered in frost then that sounds no different than what a fork goes through in a normal uninsulated garage, and I've never had problems because of that. Back in my apartment I had to keep my bike outside under a tarp, and 2.5 years later I'm still using the fork that was on that bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well just picked it up, other parts have already been taken, unfortunatevas it was avid brakes SRAM x9 and x0 shifters and gears and richly tyres post and other good bits.
    Looks in good nick, still got pressure in it after a year so the seals must still be ok. I think the handle is missing from the rebound damper but I can use an Allen key to turn that. Just hope I don't make a mess of installing it. Seen some videos on YouTube on how to do it so hopefully it will go ok.
    Not bad for free!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hi, I've just installed the Reba race, firstly it makes a huge difference in the short time I've just ridden it, and the lockout is fantastic BUT I ve just noticed two small problems, the first one is minor it's just that the dampening key at the bottom is missing, it's ok cause I'm able to put an Allen wrench in it to change the damping, just bothered about water getting in the hole.
    The second one is a slightly bigger issue possibly. Having spent ages lining up everything, having a panic attack cause the brakes fit differently and then figuring out how to fix that I have now noticed that the stantions on the Reba when at full extent are 1.5 inch (3.75cm) shorter than the stations on the Tora 289 and this concerns me cause this surely means that the geometry of the bike is messed up as I think I understand it as the frame will be closer to the ground now? Or am I completely confused and wrong?

mtbr member
    The Reba is possibly set to 80mm of travel and it looks like your bike is designed for 100mm. Luckily the Reba is convertible between 80mm and 100mm, but this requires partial disassembly of the fork and you will be best off bringing it to a shop for that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Will it be a big difference to have 80mm instead of 100mm?

Oh, and at it's top travel the Tora has 130mm of travel I think, which is what's set to now and can be dropped as low as 80mm. I wonder if thats the cause of the difference

mtbr member
    Ah, well if your current fork is at 130mm and you're seeing about a 1.5" difference then the Reba is more likely set to 100mm. Just measure the actual length of exposed stanchion and it should be close to but a little longer than the set travel amount. My memory of the different Reba setups isn't that great, but I believe some models could be extended to 120mm.