1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Rockshox default coil spring for XC30

Hello,

I just bought a Giant with a Rockshox XC30 w/Lockout (100mm).

I saw that I could change the coil spring for a Black X-Firm to fit my weigth (210 lbs).

Can someone tell me how can I know which coil spring I currently have? What is the default spring that Rockshox put in? Is it depend of the size of the bike? (Mine is large).

Thank you for your help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They are color coded. when you disassemble it you'll know. It won't be XFirm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    On the left side of my XC30, it has a sticker that says "Medium"....not sure if they all do. I think medium is usually the default spring in them. I have since changed mine to a firm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Do you have a 26" or 29" fork? I'm having trouble finding springs for the 26" XC30. I cannot imagine they are, but is it possible the springs are the same?

mtbr member
    http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/tH...art_2014_0.pdf

Check the last page. Parts should be the same for 26 or 29, unless explained other wise. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just an fyi, just tried to take my spring out of my new XC30 to swap it with an xfirm...and it won't budge. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and the OE spring was red....Not the whole spring just a little red paint on the first few coils, so it was/is a medium.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ssorange View Post
    Just an fyi, just tried to take my spring out of my new XC30 to swap it with an xfirm...and it won't budge. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh and the OE spring was red....Not the whole spring just a little red paint on the first few coils, so it was/is a medium.
    Did u take the cap off the top left hand side?? Do that first. Then flip bike upside down. There is a bolt in the bottom of the tube, unscrew the bolt. Now when I did mine I still couldn't get the spring out. So I threaded the bolt back in about 3 turn and I took a metal rod and placed it against bolt and tapped it with a hammer and the spring popped loose. I then unscrewed bolt out and the spring came out.

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I tried this last night, but not knowing it would work or possibly damage something, I was afraid to give it a good whack. Once I knew this would work. I just got a really long bolt from Orchard Supply, screwed it in a few turns and gave it a decent hit with my dead-blow hammer and it came lose!

THANK YOU!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ssorange View Post
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I tried this last night, but not knowing it would work or possibly damage something, I was afraid to give it a good whack. Once I knew this would work. I just got a really long bolt from Orchard Supply, screwed it in a few turns and gave it a decent hit with my dead-blow hammer and it came lose!

THANK YOU!
    Dude that's FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!! I'm so glad that I could help!!! That stiffer spring makes a big difference, you'll be happy.

Bikes I currently have. 2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er. 2013 Trek Mamba 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I also wanted to add this important information. I ordered a spring and when comparing it to the old spring it was shorter. Upon further inspection there is a roll pin at the end of the aluminum rod. You need to unscrew the aluminum rod from the spring, tap out the roll pin, and install it in a secondary hole that makes the spring assembly longer. Maybe that's the difference between a 26er and a 29er?