1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Rockhopper vs. Giant Xtc

Hi all,
    I'm looking at these two bikes:
    Rockhopper Comp Disc or the Giant XtC 2.5

Any views on the two would be appreciated.
    They seem to be around the same price range and with similar standard components.

thanks muchly

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ride both and see which one fits you best.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    thanks, sound advice for sure :-)
    I was also after comments on equipment quality, build quality and value for money as well.

thoughts??

mtbr member
    May 2007
    unfortunatly i havent been able to find anyone that carrys the Giant Xtc but i gotta say i love the Rockhopper Comp Disc and is most likely going to be the bike i get in the next week or so. Im still debating on weather or not to get the Rockhopper Pro which is out of control sick. It will all depend on how much money i have come next week, well see what happens. Rest assured if you get the Rockhopper Comp Disc you wont be dissapointed great buy great ride good components get the silver one though if your having to order it the red color is pretty ugly imo.

And if you have the money upgrade to the Rockhopper Pro its an incredible bike also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As for quality and build both are reputable. One isn't going to be leaps and bounds better than the other in terms of quality. Its going to come down to what you feels best to you (and how much you want to spend). I personally ride a Specialized Hardrock (cheaper than the Rockhopper), that I have ridden for a few years now. I'm looking at a Rockhopper or Stumpjumper for my next bike. You can't go wrong with Specialized.