1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Rockhopper Upgrade Help

I recently started riding on trails with a 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc that I got from my father because he just bought a Stumpjumper FSR. I really like riding on trails or anything off road and I want to upgrade my bike a little bit. The only thing I did to it so far is replace the pedals with Shimano Saint pedals. What should I upgrade on it? Open to any ideas...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    What does it feel like needs upgrading to you?? If it is working fine for what you are using it for, then just enjoy it. If it doesn't shift right, adjust the cables, if it still doesn't start on the drivetrain. If it breaks spokes and the wheel wobbles, get a new wheelset. If not? Leave them. My 09' RH Pro has one rim that I replaced, with an older Sun rim that hasn't had a broken spoke in NINE (9) years.. The Juicy 3 back brake finally got "broken in" after a couple years of sucking, and besides the occasional death screech works pretty well. I have that bike down to less than 24.5 lbs somehow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What do you like/dislike about it now? What do other people ride / How much of a budget do you have?What do you want to do different? For the most bang to buck is to upgrade the the wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Lock-on grips and fresh tires make a big difference. According to bikepedia your bike is decently spec'd. I don't think it would be worth upgrading anything on it... maybe the wheelset but you're looking at a good $400+. You might be able to find a used set or a killer deal but aim for strength and less weight. The Alex rims on my Rockhopper only lasted me 200 miles before the LBS told me they couldn't straighten them again. I replaced the wheels with Mavic Crossmax ST and they are still straight after 1K something miles.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    What do you like/dislike about it now? What do other people ride / How much of a budget do you have?What do you want to do different? For the most bang to buck is to upgrade the the wheels.
    Right now it has 2 problems. The brakes pads are completely worn out and the gears sometimes lock up so the gear shifts are terrible. I'm taking it to the shop this weekend to take care of those problems. Anyway, would upgrading the wheels make a noticeable difference? My budget for upgrading it is about $250 but I can add to it if it's necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by s11s11 View Post
    Anyway, would upgrading the wheels make a noticeable difference? My budget for upgrading it is about $250 but I can add to it if it's necessary.
    I say save your money. You won't get much for $250. Lighter tires and tubes can give you the same effect.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    You should change the rear derailleur for RD-M662 or 772 to make gear changing faster, and a shifters of course (SLX for example). Later you can buy a new fork, for example RS Reba and a new wheels and tires. I think your bike (a frame) is quite good and is worth modernization.

Rogue Exterminator
    Right now it has 2 problems. The brakes pads are completely worn out and the gears sometimes lock up so the gear shifts are terrible. I'm taking it to the shop this weekend to take care of those problems. Anyway, would upgrading the wheels make a noticeable difference? My budget for upgrading it is about $250 but I can add to it if it's necessary.
    With a $250 don't upgrade anything.
    Just pay for your repairs and ride it.
    Then maybe upgrade parts as they break.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The front wheel makes the most noticeable difference with weight reduction and stiffness. An ArchEx/Hope Pro2 Evo front wheel is usually $140 or so from Wiggle(wait a while). It comes with 9&15mm caps to go on future fork upgrades.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels

Fat-tired Roadie
    Upgrades are overrated. Start by catching up on your maintenance. Learn to tune your own drivetrain well. If the cables and housings are original, replace them. If your Dad screwed up his maintenance, you may not have much budget by the time you're done anyway.

Parktool.com has excellent, well-illustrated repair and tune instructions.

What fork do you have?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Upgrades are overrated. Start by catching up on your maintenance. Learn to tune your own drivetrain well. If the cables and housings are original, replace them. If your Dad screwed up his maintenance, you may not have much budget by the time you're done anyway.

Parktool.com has excellent, well-illustrated repair and tune instructions.

What fork do you have?
    I am actually taking my bike to the shop tomorrow because the brake pads are worn out and the gears are locking up. I am not exactly sure what fork I have but it says RockShox Recon SL something.

IoC
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am actually taking my bike to the shop tomorrow because the brake pads are worn out and the gears are locking up. I am not exactly sure what fork I have but it says RockShox Recon SL something.
    Save some cash man: buy new pads and learn to fix these things yourself. Parktool.com will help with what you just described.

mtbr member
    I have to say that a Rockhopper is a nice bike. I have my 2001 that I still ride. Not much to upgrade there really. I did upgrade the front fork to a psylo back in 01 cause Im a Clyde and it was a better fork than the stock one. My advice? Ride the chit out of it until something breaks or gets worn out and replace it when it does. Until then just have fun

Fat-tired Roadie
    The Recon is a pretty will-spec'd fork.

My usual non-upgrade hit list for any new bike worth owning is to nail the fit, which frequently involves buying another stem, get pedals you like, and get tires you like.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Use the money for a skills clinic, or a big weekend mtb trip with buddies. If you absolutely must spend money on the bike to feel like it's yours, go with what they said above and spend it on the cockpit - bars, stem, saddle. You might even shed some weight if you go with a carbon bar. BlueSky has an Easton XC70 carbon bar on sale right now for about $60.

Ask your dad if the fork has ever been overhauled. That could make a big difference in how the bike rides, and how long the fork will last.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I guess for now I will just keep riding it until something something needs to be replaced. I have a question about the brake pads though. They are worn out and the guy at the shop says he is going to sand paper them or something like that. Should I just have them replaced?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you need to pay closer attention to what the mechanic is saying. You may need new pads, and he is going to sand-paper the rotors to get some light scratches out of them. Get back in touch with him and ask what exactly is the problem, and what exactly does he say you need to fix it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If the pads still have some material left on them, the shop guy might want to sand them if they appear to be glazed over to get them performing like new. If they are severely worn, they should be replaced. If you have the money for new, then go for it. It's ultimately your call.