1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Rockhopper Expert Disc 29 or Gary Fisher Cobia?

Hello looking to buy a new bike. Any thoughts on these two? I mostly ride single trails around the VA area.

Thanks,

Mark

mtbr member
    Both of them are fine rides. I think it would come down too whether or not you want Hydro Disc or Mechanical. There is no other significant differences between the bikes.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Here's links to the two bikes he's considering

Rockhopper Expert Disc 29
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...0&menuItemId=0

Gary Fisher Cobia
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/cobia

Ride both of the bikes and get the one that fits the best. If they both feel as if they fit fine I would pick the bike with the better fork. I haven't ridden either of these forks RockShox Tora SL 29 on the GF or the RockShox Dart 3 on the Specialized. I'm sure someone could chime in on this.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    Here's links to the two bikes he's considering

Rockhopper Expert Disc 29
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...0&menuItemId=0

Ride both of the bikes and get the one that fits the best. If they both feel as if they fit fine I would pick the bike with the better fork. I haven't ridden either of these forks RockShox Tora SL 29 on the GF or the RockShox Dart 3 on the Specialized. I'm sure someone could chime in on this.
    hmm when I searched the 2009 came up for me not the 2010. The 2009 comes with a RS Tora Race 29er, much more comparable to the GF. After you have ridden them if you havent, if they feel the same I would pick the GF, it has the better fork.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Sir Crash-a-lot
    If you choose the Rockhopper, go one step up to the SL (super light)...it's one level above the Expert and has a lighter frame. My local LBS was willing to knock off $100 on the 2010 model so it was $1k even
    "I crash well..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    anyone have weight specs on the old M4 frame (2009) vs the SL version for 2010?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Actually it is the SL that I am looking at, though the bike shop that I was at was charging 1,300.

Sir Crash-a-lot
    I'm not finding the actual weight just yet alkemyst...the MTB guru at my LBS said it was noticeable, but maybe he's a super weight weenie.

mwade, on the specialized site the SL starts at $1100, so you were looking at the SL Expert? That's a nice bike bro...I'm jealous. Retail on that is $1350 so they are cutting you a small break.
    "I crash well..."

Sir Crash-a-lot
    Also, the SL Expert has a RS Recon fork...that's considerably nicer than the Dart 3 that comes on the regular Rockhopper Expert
    "I crash well..."

Sir Crash-a-lot
    Here's the Rockhopper I'm looking at...is this the one you're looking at?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...enuItemId=9253
    "I crash well..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mizm05
    I'm not finding the actual weight just yet alkemyst...the MTB guru at my LBS said it was noticeable, but maybe he's a super weight weenie.

mwade, on the specialized site the SL starts at $1100, so you were looking at the SL Expert? That's a nice bike bro...I'm jealous. Retail on that is $1350 so they are cutting you a small break.
    I heard the frame is about 300grams lighter. a little over 1/2 a pound. Pretty substantial. I don't know why manufacturers stopped posting weight specs.