1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Rockhopper comp 29 2013 upgrades? (X-post from 29er components)

(I was told to post this here)
    I just got a rockhopper comp 29 and was wondering if anybody knew some upgrades I could get for it too. I've noticed that the fork is 'pogo' like, maybe I could get an air fork?

Specialized Bicycle Components

T.W.O.
    Have you tried adjusting the fork? You should try to dial it in for your weight and riding style before you bin it. If it's a coil fork you can change the spring to suit you. The new fork would probably start around $350 all the way up to $1200 depending on your need and budget.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, I weigh 100 pounds... I've got the preload as far down as possible and rebound flipped to the turtle side.

T.W.O.
    You said you just got this bike, is it brand new from the dealer? If yes call them back and ask to have the spring switch out, they should have done this to you before you left the lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Okay, when I bring it in in a few weeks for the "one month tune up" I'll see what they can do for me.

T.W.O.
    Many things can happen before then I'd give them a call as soon as possible. If they say they are going to help you at least you know you don't have to spend on a new fork now. Wait til then and get a shoulder shrug because you didn't come to them sooner may not help much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good point. I need to have my rear brake pad adjusted anyway so I'll take it in tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, they told me that the best they could do was turn down the preload (it already was down) and I should be fine with what I had...

T.W.O.
    That sucks because I think if the conversation happened before you buy it, most likely they'd swap the spring out or get you one that fits. Do you know how much they want for the spring change? Is this a specialized store or dealer?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It was a bike store, but I don't think they had springs on hand. From what I can tell, the guy I talked to felt that I should get a new fork rather than a different spring; but he told me that I should just ride it how it is and it should be fine.

Cow Clicker
    You might have been riding the MTBR.com trail too much lately. You have a great bike. The fork isn't high end, but, you can have a good time with it if you keep your speed in line with the terrain
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    From the specs on the Rockshox site for your fork---
    "Available Springs Coil, Optional spring rates: Light, Firm, Extra Firm "
    Actually there are two light springs listed in the Spare Parts Catalog p.9-10
    The parts diagram lists for the coil spring #16--
    11.4018.001.000 Dart,XC28 Spring/Spacer kit XSoft(Green)
    11.4015.041.000 Dart,XC28 Spring/Spacer Kit Soft(Black)
    11.4015.040.000 Dart,XC28 Spring/Spacer Kit Med(Yellow)
    11.4015.039.000 Dart,XC28 Spring/Spacer Kit Firm(Red)
    11.4018.001.001 Dart,XC28 Spring/Spacer Kit XFirm(Blue)

From the 2014 Suspension Fork Oil, Air and Coil Charts p.5 XC28 80/100mm--
    Rochshox's recommendations by rider weight are for under 140lbs. the XSoft(Green) Spring/Spacer Kit.

Ask the shop owner to get you set up right. He will have to order the part and install it. If necessary check with the Specialized area rep.
    You can return the bike and have your credit card company deal with him as a last resort.
    Once you get the right spring the fork should be good to ride. Yes a used dual air Reba off ebay would be 2lbs. lighter and perform for your exact weight because you set the air pressure, but this fork is fine for skill development as long as the XSoft spring works for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, I've already gone to the bike shop yesterday and they told me that all they want to do is turn the preload all the way down. I didn't see your post so I didn't know to tell them I could get that specific spring. It's been 9 days since I bought the bike, they told me that a harder spring would only make me better. When I hit a curb at a fast speed, it'll travel about 3/4 of the way, but that's the farthest I've ever gotten it to go. There barely any sag when I sit on the bike. It also feels kinda like a pogo stick, but I think that's because I don't know how the rebound is supposed to feel (and I don't really know how to adjust it). What is the standard spring that comes in the XC28?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ugh, bad lbs. bad fork setup and just push you to spend tons of money on fork upgrade instead. after your free tuneups, dont' send another cent in this shop. Try to find another in the area, yelp reviews might be helpful here. You could try writing out to specialized telling them your weight and improper fork setup, lbs refusal to replace spring with purchase, etc. Ask specialized if this typical customer service for purchasing specialized bike. the lbs may be pushing your around. at 100lb, makes it seem like you are young.

in terms of upgrades..
    if it came with plastic pedals, you can buy some wellgo mg1 (check ebay and amazon). They are good and strong and nobody beats them in value.

other than that, I wouldn't swap anything yet. They way you ride will change drastically since you are new and are bout to improve quickly. Also, start learning how to make adjustments to the bike yourself. youtube. experiment with saddle angle, for and aft. change handle bar spacer placement, and angle of shifter and brakes. learn to adjust your own brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xSpartanCx View Post
    Well, I've already gone to the bike shop yesterday and they told me that all they want to do is turn the preload all the way down. I didn't see your post so I didn't know to tell them I could get that specific spring. It's been 9 days since I bought the bike, they told me that a harder spring would only make me better. When I hit a curb at a fast speed, it'll travel about 3/4 of the way, but that's the farthest I've ever gotten it to go. There barely any sag when I sit on the bike. It also feels kinda like a pogo stick, but I think that's because I don't know how the rebound is supposed to feel (and I don't really know how to adjust it). What is the standard spring that comes in the XC28?
    Probably a medium for 160-180lbs.

Talk only to the shop owner. Show him the Rockshox spring recommendation and ask him to check with the Specialized rep if necessary. You aren't the first light rider to buy a Specialized bike.

Universal Cycles has the kit--- $23.00
    29", 100mm Travel, X Soft (Green)
    Item #: 57794-135858
    Mfg#: 11.4018.010.017
    UPC: 710845703041
    Other #s:
    FK7494
    Looks like the part numbers need to be double checked.

You have learned which guys at the shop you don't need to waste time listening to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, I'm not sure how to get in contact with the owner, I don't even know who he is. The only person who is consistently there as far as I know is the mechanic. I'll talk to someone, and if they're not willing to replace it for free, since it's not an expensive thing I might buy it so that I have a firmer spring to change to if I end up growing more.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by xSpartanCx View Post
    Well, I'm not sure how to get in contact with the owner, I don't even know who he is. The only person who is consistently there as far as I know is the mechanic. I'll talk to someone, and if they're not willing to replace it for free, since it's not an expensive thing I might buy it so that I have a firmer spring to change to if I end up growing more.
    The spring may be cheap but the labor to switch it out is not.

I'd also try Specialized, may be they'd have a solution for you. I know it may sounded like the lbs brushed you off and said that the set up is ok for you, but have you tried it yourself to determine if the spring and rebound is too much for you. I know some people especially new riders have or prefer wrong set up and it's usually too soft and slow. If that's the case you should be fine. I hear you though, 100lbs is not much to get things moving comfortably on mountain bike components

One thing you have going for you is the fact that you just bought that bike, it's barely a week old. If there's any chance of getting anyone to do something about it, it's now. The longer you wait the slimmer the chance you can do anything about it.

Hope you don't mind, this is a good lesson for all noobs buying new bikes. Most shops are willing to do general fitting and swap components out to fit you, stems, handlebar, even tires without extra charge. Do all your dealing before handing them your hard earn cash. It could be tune ups, discount on accessories, make sure it's in writing on the receipt. After you pay, your chance of getting any extra perks is very slim. Both my Lbs give free lifetime tune ups, and discount on accessories, you also get $50 credit toward any big job. I don't use it but it's nice to know it's there.

My friend bought a FSR last year went back for the "one free tune up" and have the brake and shifter adjusted, the next ride same problem occur, he went back and have them adjusted again, they charged him $30(already discounted).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I paid for free servicing any time for the next 5 years at my lbs, so I think they'd be okay switching it out for me. Is there a youtube video or something that can show me exactly what it should be like? All I could find are videos on how to adjust sag.