1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Rockhopper 26er (probably 2008 or so) - disc upgrade???

I have V breaks on my Rockhopper base. How can I tell if I have the option to upgrade to disc brakes as well as what parts I need?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Brakes

Look at you frame and hubs. Do they have the mount holes to attach the caliper to the frame and the discs to the wheel hub?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could probilly go to a mechcanical disc like the avid BB7 in the front if you have a hub with mounting holes for the rotor. Your fork would need the mounts on the fork leg for the caliper. If you wanted to go to Hydros you would need new brakes levels and maybe shifters too.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Joined in 2008 and this is the first post? Cool.

Looking at this pic, it appears the fork and frame can mount some brakes. Can you post pics of the left side of the front/rear hub? Then we can tell you if the wheels will take a rotor. If you have the same bike that is in this pic, the hub looks too small for rotors from this side...

BikePedia; Image Viewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnik View Post
    I have V breaks on my Rockhopper base. How can I tell if I have the option to upgrade to disc brakes as well as what parts I need?

Thanks in advance!
    I have the same bike and looked into this as well.

The rockhopper came with the mounting holes for calipers on the fork and the rear triangle but the hubs are not disc ready.

At the least would need to replace both hubs with disc ready hubs or replace the wheels and either a mechanical or hydr brake kit.

For me, the cost was to much on a $600 5 year old bike. I will just upgrade to a new bike when I am ready
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyDoo View Post
    I have the same bike and looked into this as well.

The rockhopper came with the mounting holes for calipers on the fork and the rear triangle but the hubs are not disc ready.

At the least would need to replace both hubs with disc ready hubs or replace the wheels and either a mechanical or hydr brake kit.

For me, the cost was to much on a $600 5 year old bike. I will just upgrade to a new bike when I am ready
    Thank you all for the great feedback!!! I kind of figured that there would be something preventing it from being easy. I remember the sales guy telling me that if I wanted disc brakes that I should just spring for them right away as the Rockhopper conversion after the fact wouldn't be cost effective. (And of course disc brakes were out of my price range at the time so I went with the Rockhopper base)

I will try to take pictures though tomorrow if I don't get too busy at work.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Joined in 2008 and this is the first post? Cool.
    lol yeah that caught my attention as well, weird! ;p