1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rock Shox XC28

mtbr member

Rock Shox XC28

Where does this fork stack up? Better than a Dart 3? Not as good as a Recon? Are they worth it or just hold out for a Recon or better?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Buying retail, or ships on the front of the bike?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It is pretty much a slightly modified dart 3.

mtbr member
    Yeah XC28 is essentially a Dart, XC32 is a Tora. XC30 is the new tweener.

Like andrew implied, if it's coming on a bike you're looking at, it's probably a result of the class of bike you're in and will be as good as the next in that price range. If your current fork is shot it's a decent price on a budget. It's certainly not an upgrade over.... anything.

As for whether to hold out for a Recon, depends again on your situation and budget. What do you want out of your fork... what value/price are you looking? Recon silver coil will give you 32mm stanchions for roughly same weight as the more-flexy XC28 -- but probably at least $100 more. Recon Gold solo-air is a pretty good value for an air-fork, given that you can put a mo-co damper in it.... but more money. Of course, we could keep going and end up at a Talas or something. "Worth" is probably something only you can gauge.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm just shopping bikes and don't know much about this fork. I'm kinda weeding through bikes based on the fork. Trying to figure out the lowest level fork I would settle for. Currently pricing bikes in the 750-1000 range.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't have ride-time on the XC28 or the Dart, but...

If I could squeeze something that shipped with a Recon right off the bat into my budget, that's what I'd want to do. The numbered XC forks are new for this year. The Recon accepts RS's well-regarded Motion Control damper. I don't care to get involved in coil spring vs. air spring debates, but I think a good damper is very nice to have, and a replaceable, robust damper (or at least availability) might be the difference between a disposable fork and a fork you're content with for the life of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Unless you are buying online good luck getting something above the dart level at that price range.

mtbr member
    If its a new name for the Dart 3..... that fork is super flexy and harsh. Came on my bike stock. Replaced it with a 2012 float. I'd stay away from Dart stuff completely. It would flex and wobble even under heavy braking. Cornering was a nightmare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austanian View Post
    Unless you are buying online good luck getting something above the dart level at that price range.
    Looking at the Kona Shred. Recon fork for sub $1000. Other components are so-so though so I guess that's the tradeoff.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnedshin View Post
    Looking at the Kona Shred. Recon fork for sub $1000. Other components are so-so though so I guess that's the tradeoff.
    Id take better fork and lesser "other components" anyday. Only tning I would say about the Shred is, if I am remembering correctly, its built stronger than many other bikes, at the penalty of weight. Just something to consider.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Ditto.

The other thing to be aware of with the Shred is it's got a very slack head angle. Good for landing hits and descending, potentially slower in corners and frustrating during climbs.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For general riding, you could spend just a little more and get a lot more bike:

Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GotoDengo View Post
    Yeah XC28 is essentially a Dart, XC32 is a Tora. XC30 is the new tweener.

Like andrew implied, if it's coming on a bike you're looking at, it's probably a result of the class of bike you're in and will be as good as the next in that price range. If your current fork is shot it's a decent price on a budget. It's certainly not an upgrade over.... anything.

As for whether to hold out for a Recon, depends again on your situation and budget. What do you want out of your fork... what value/price are you looking? Recon silver coil will give you 32mm stanchions for roughly same weight as the more-flexy XC28 -- but probably at least $100 more. Recon Gold solo-air is a pretty good value for an air-fork, given that you can put a mo-co damper in it.... but more money. Of course, we could keep going and end up at a Talas or something. "Worth" is probably something only you can gauge.
    Hey I've been looking at all the reviews on the xc30 and xc32 and will be upgrading here soon to one of them or another, just depends on what I see on ebay or on sale. I can get an xc30 with the pop lock takeoff from a rockhopper pro for probably under 130 or should i spend the extra and get the xc32 without. Also when looking at forks would you suggest I stay away from older models such as a 2004 white brothers .8 with hardly any ride time. Any help with what direction I should go is very much appreciated.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail3n View Post
    Hey I've been looking at all the reviews on the xc30 and xc32 and will be upgrading here soon to one of them or another, just depends on what I see on ebay or on sale. I can get an xc30 with the pop lock takeoff from a rockhopper pro for probably under 130 or should i spend the extra and get the xc32 without. Also when looking at forks would you suggest I stay away from older models such as a 2004 white brothers .8 with hardly any ride time. Any help with what direction I should go is very much appreciated.
    What is your budget?

Do you have any riding buddies that could help you shop for a used fork in good condition?

I would rather take a chance on something used or save up for a while longer than spend good money on an XC28/30/32. JMHO.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnedshin View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm just shopping bikes and don't know much about this fork. I'm kinda weeding through bikes based on the fork. Trying to figure out the lowest level fork I would settle for. Currently pricing bikes in the 750-1000 range.
    This is seemingly a good idea. The fork is the only thing I'd like to change out (for now) on my current ride. I wish I would have looked into it more first.
    Are you an experienced rider or just getting into it? And how do you know which fork you'd be willing to settle for? It should probably be something you've ridden, not read reviews on. Though you generally can't go wrong with advice from the guys/gals around here.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    What is your budget?

Do you have any riding buddies that could help you shop for a used fork in good condition?

I would rather take a chance on something used or save up for a while longer than spend good money on an XC28/30/32. JMHO.
    I'd say my budget is $200, I've been looking for quite some time now at upgrading and I haven't ridden a bike with a dart 3 or tora that I can remember I did ride a buddies 2012 trek 3700 and it has a suntour fork on it, it was okay but I'm looking for something a bit better and with 100mm travel at least. I search all the sites and ebay frequently for forks, I just figured if the rockhopper pro has an xc30 on it that it would be good for me as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    price point has xc28 on sale for 75$ and its new of course.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    I'd say my budget is $200
    Spend about $50 more and you could get this.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'd say my budget is $200, I've been looking for quite some time now at upgrading and I haven't ridden a bike with a dart 3 or tora that I can remember I did ride a buddies 2012 trek 3700 and it has a suntour fork on it, it was okay but I'm looking for something a bit better and with 100mm travel at least. I search all the sites and ebay frequently for forks, I just figured if the rockhopper pro has an xc30 on it that it would be good for me as well.
    A Dart (or XC28/30/32) is not worth spending money on as an aftermarket fork IMHO. Some of the older Tora forks were decent forks (the ones that came with the Motion Control dampers) for what they cost, and some even had aluminum steerer tubes (like the one I have installed on my adult daughter's bike). At least some of those older Tora forks can be upgraded from the Turnkey damper to a Motion Control damper for not too much money ($50 to $60 IIRC). If you're not going to get one with a Motion Control damper, I would hold out for something else.

Over the past few years, instead of technology trickling down the line, as is the case for lots of things, Rock Shox has gone in the opposite direction. I don't even know if you can even get a Recon with Motion Control anymore, let alone a Tora, and most Recons now have steel stanchions instead of aluminum ('silver' = steel, and 'gold' = aluminum). So, you really have to know your stuff when shopping for forks from RS these days, or you could over pay for a fork, or not get what you thought you were getting.

Your best bet is to have a little patience, and ask here about specific deals before pulling the trigger, and get forum members to decipher the BS for you. I'll keep an eye out for good deals and post back if I find anything. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=cobba;10034652]Spend about $50 more and this one here]

I'd actually looked at that fork today and it is more of what i really want in a fork since it can be had in 130mm travel at a good price. I'm building my 29er to be like the new trek stache, or diamondback Mason with the long travel up front but will settle with 100mm travel for the time being. Thanks for all the replies fellas!

Fat-tired Roadie
    There are some cautions to bear in mind if you're planning to use a longer-travel fork than what the frame was spec'd for.

The horror story is that you might snap your head tube off. While this is a bigger possibility than if you used the right fork, it's not really what would stop me.

You'll probably void your warranty.

You'll definitely mess with the handling of the bike. Whether that's good or bad is subjective. Expect the front wheel to be less planted on climbs, something that can be really irritating if you do technical climbing. Of course, you'll also get more of a chopper feel on the way down.

I'd want to at least be able to dial back the travel if I found I didn't like the handling.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    A Dart (or XC28/30/32) is not worth spending money on as an aftermarket fork IMHO. Some of the older Tora forks were decent forks (the ones that came with the Motion Control dampers) for what they cost, and some even had aluminum steerer tubes (like the one I have installed on my adult daughter's bike). At least some of those older Tora forks can be upgraded from the Turnkey damper to a Motion Control damper for not too much money ($50 to $60 IIRC). If you're not going to get one with a Motion Control damper, I would hold out for something else.

Over the past few years, instead of technology trickling down the line, as is the case for lots of things, Rock Shox has gone in the opposite direction. I don't even know if you can even get a Recon with Motion Control anymore, let alone a Tora, and most Recons now have steel stanchions instead of aluminum ('silver' = steel, and 'gold' = aluminum). So, you really have to know your stuff when shopping for forks from RS these days, or you could over pay for a fork, or not get what you thought you were getting.

Your best bet is to have a little patience, and ask here about specific deals before pulling the trigger, and get forum members to decipher the BS for you. I'll keep an eye out for good deals and post back if I find anything. Good luck.
    Thank you jeffj for all the good information and helping me get the best deal. I am being patient and am looking all over the place for the best deal for the money. I'll take all the help I can get. Thanks again jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hey looking at forks would you suggest I stay away from older models such as a 2004 white brothers .8 with hardly any ride time. Any help with what direction I should go is very much appreciated.
    I have a White Bros 1.0 on a bike I use for technical trails. It is light, stiff and doesn't need very much maintenance other than a dribble of silicone spray at the wiper seals. The compression circuit is sealed. It is very ridable and at 100- or so would be a good value choice. The RS dual air Reba or Manitou Tower Pro would be better but more expensive. I would choose it over any XC or Recon. Tech support at White is friendly and will email ypu the service manual. I run mine at 70-75psi.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    There are some cautions to bear in mind if you're planning to use a longer-travel fork than what the frame was spec'd for.

The horror story is that you might snap your head tube off. While this is a bigger possibility than if you used the right fork, it's not really what would stop me.

You'll probably void your warranty.

You'll definitely mess with the handling of the bike. Whether that's good or bad is subjective. Expect the front wheel to be less planted on climbs, something that can be really irritating if you do technical climbing. Of course, you'll also get more of a chopper feel on the way down.

I'd want to at least be able to dial back the travel if I found I didn't like the handling.
    Thanks Andrew I currently have a 100mm fork now and have read about the precautions of adding a longer travel fork and will take into consideration the ability to dial down if need be before buying a new fork.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Best of luck, and report back how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast