1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Rock Shox vs. Fox Forks for XC Rider (29er)?

I am riding a 2011 Cannondale hardtail 29er with a mediocre fork (RST Deuce Air) and I would like to replace it with something better (duh). The fork that most interests me so far is the RockShox SID RL 29er model. I am looking ultimately for a fork with 80-100mm travel for under $500. Also, I have heard from various sources that Fox forks are high maintenance and thus not worth it for the practical (non competitive) rider. Is this true? Also, how "plush" should my fork feel. Right now with my current fork it seems to reduce the shock very little even on the lowest rebound setting and on the appropriate air pressure for my weight (very light-115 pounds). Thanks for helping in advance and reading through this rather long post

Go Speed Racer
    I just picked this one up the other day and LOVE it. Amazon.com: RockShox Reba RLT - Dual Air 100mm 29" Maxle Lite 15 Motion Control Damper: Sports & Outdoors Under 500 also Not sure you will be able to find a SID for under $500... Make sure you get the right fork for your hub (Quick Release, QR15 Thru or QR20 Thru), the one I linked to is QR15 (and it is more than the Quick release version). Amazon had this one on sale for ~380 a few weeks ago...

Good luck!

Edit: Here is the link to the 9mm quick release version... Amazon.com: RockShox Reba RL - Dual Air 100mm 29-Inch 9mm (White): Sports & Outdoors $414 ....

mtbr member
    Its going to be more than 500.00, but if plush is what you are after, you cannot beat the Fox Float. As far as maintenance, the Fox recommended service intervals are not to be taken too seriously. I would say once a year barring any symptoms.

mtbr member
    I recently ordered a white rock shoxs Reba for a 26er off eBay, brand new. For under $300
    I ended up getting a black Reba rlt 29er. I put it on a Santa Cruz super light.
    So far it's been an excellent fork. I didn't know what I was missing
    Before.
    I've heard that new fox forks no longer "self lubricate" I'm not really sure what that means but it sounds like higher maintaince.
    I apologize for the lack I knowledge on the subject. Just figured I might be able to open up a discussion about it from someone who knows more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I hread that the newer SID's have been beefed up but for general riding I would use a Reba RLT over a SID. I've seen and read about many people trashing SID lowers very easily - they are a great XC race fork though.
    I have fox F32 RLC FIT 100mm on my Epic they have also be great, I have an 2010 model and the first thing I did was change out the seals to Enduro's. Fox seals have historically been pretty flimsy, I have heard that they also have been improved.
    For $500 budget my choice of fork would be the Reba RLT 29er forks, light weight and can take some abuse. SID's and F32's are going to be well over that unless second hand

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for the advice. Also, what are the differences between the Reba and SID? Would I experience any noticeable benefit from getting the more pricey SID? BTW, I have found the SID Rl 29 to be under $500 in multiple places. Another question: will the SIDs fit quick release hubs?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Rockshox Reba and SID as well as various Fox models are all excellent forks. I am partial to Rockshox and am using a Reba XX; my wife rides a Fox Float and that's a great fork too. I tend to think the Rockshox are a better value and easier to maintain/get parts for, and for me at least (heavy guy) the Reba is an amazing fork.

The SID is the "race" fork and is lighter than the Reba, but only by a tiny amount. In fact they use the same lowers now. I think more important than the Reba vs. SID is what kind of lockout and damper you are getting, and whether you want a remote lockout. I like the hydraulic Xloc. Rockshox makes a wide variety of remote lockouts and dampers, the most advanced ones are on the SID, SID XX and the higher end Reba models.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just purchased a new bike with a RockShox Reba SL, it seemed great at first but it seems like it lost pressure quickly, Hopefully it is user error and not a bad copy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by h00k247 View Post
    I just purchased a new bike with a RockShox Reba SL, it seemed great at first but it seems like it lost pressure quickly, Hopefully it is user error and not a bad copy.
    It shouldn't do that. Take it to the shop where you bought it and get them to fix it..