1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nOOb

Rock Shox Recon silver vs. (stock) RST Gila pro

Been thinking of upgrading my stock forks on my '09 Cannondale F7. Performance Bicycle has got a sale on the recon for $210. Would it be worth it to upgrade, or is it best to just stick with the Gila pros?

Here's the ones I'm looking into. They are on sale for $209.
    Rock Shox Recon Silver Suspension Fork -- Performance Exclusive - Mountain Bike Suspension Forks
    Last edited by jlallak; 07-03-2012 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    I would go with the Rockshox

mtbr member
    I'd go the Recon as well. Better fork in the long run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hmm I wouldn't just jump on that Recon.. First of all, why do you want to replace your Gila? Is it just that the Recon looks better? Is it too heavy? Is it not smooth enough? Is it broken? If that Recon is not solo air then definitely stick with the Gila. If it is solo air as it probably is then it might be a worthy upgrade but like I said you have to know the reason why you are upgrading and it is you who then have to decide if it's worth spending over $200.

nOOb

upgrade

Yes it is solo air, there is nothing wrong with the Gila pro. I just don't like the feel of them, they're a lil soft for me. Functionally the gilas are fine, just wanted to get a firmer feel.

nOOb

upgrade

I will say the RS Recon at PB is only available in white. I would prefer them black.

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by jlallak View Post
    I will say the RS Recon at PB is only available in white. I would prefer yhem black.
    Spray can.

Fat-tired Roadie
    A non-sucky suspension fork makes a really big difference.

If you can swing another $80, here's a nicer version.
    RockShox Recon Gold RL Fork 2011 at Price Point

Read up on the turnkey damper vs. motion control damper.
    I have saddle time on some Reba variants, most lately the RLT. I find that I really like having a compression damper.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I don't know if you have made your purchase yet or not, but a few weeks ago I picked up a 2011 Rockshox Recon Silver R from Pricepoint for $159.95. As of today, they are still offering that price:

RockShox Recon Silver R Fork 2011 at Price Point

mtbr member
    I got the RS Recon Silver TK from PB! Great Deal! Looks good too. White on all black.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    A non-sucky suspension fork makes a really big difference.

If you can swing another $80, here's a nicer version.
    RockShox Recon Gold RL Fork 2011 at Price Point

Read up on the turnkey damper vs. motion control damper.
    I have saddle time on some Reba variants, most lately the RLT. I find that I really like having a compression damper.
    when you get close to 300 its time to start looking at the reba. they can be had in that price range.

im still perfectly happy with my recon silver tk solo.
    Last edited by Slozomby; 07-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i bought a 2012 recon solo air and i couldn't be happier. mine is black though not white

nOOb

rock shox recon silver r

I like the price point of the recon silver r, but its a coil shock. The recon silver tk is a solo air. A lot more adjustable?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like the price point of the recon silver r, but its a coil shock. The recon silver tk is a solo air. A lot more adjustable?
    its adjustable enough for me. the only thing about it i'd change would be to change to the motion control damper from the poplock kit. im just not sure its worth the $100 bux or so to get it done after the fact. but if i were buying new it'd be one of the things i'd definitely look for.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nothing wrong with a coil fork as long as it's the right coil for your weight.

nOOb
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Nothing wrong with a coil fork as long as it's the right coil for your weight.
    Yes I suppose so. The RST is a little soft for me. 6'0" 230.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    There are coil forks and air forks.

There are sucky forks and non-sucky forks.

There's not necessarily a correlation among the above. Which is to say that your RST Gila sucks but doesn't represent all coil forks.

T.W.O
    Like Andrew said the key is to get the right coil for your weight. You may even have to replace the coil on the Recon because it most likely will still come stock medium sprung.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I replaced my Suntour XCT (coil) on my Fisher Advance with the Recon Silver (air) from Performance, a week ago. The bike is much more fun - the front end is a more compliant/bounces around less. Do it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great info.

mtbr member
    I bought my Recon here at this website then used this code "BPX2010" it's a 10% discount for first time buyers. My total minus the discount was around $260 and they have fast shipping.
    RockShox Recon Silver Solo Air TK 26" Suspension Fork 100mm Black 1-1/8" PopLoc Remote

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    rockshox FTW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is this even a question? Gila Pro's are the worst shocks I've ever seen or experienced on a bike, I don't even know where to start.

Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time trying to make it work with the Gilas to save money, save up money and buy a decent fork, you won't regret it e.g. An air fork with rebound control.

Recon seems like a decent fork, although I've never really used one.

mtbr member
    I replaced my RST Gila with a Recon Solo air TK and feel it was money well spent. The Gila sucked and while the Recon is no where near high end, It's a decent fork for the money and suits my needs just fine. The Turn Key damper seams to work fine for the riding I do with the exception of a little nose dive under braking so I'm considering swamping the TK for a MoCo so I can dial it out.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    Just run a bit more air pressure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast