1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Rock Shox Dart3

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Rock Shox Dart3

Hi i have a rock shox dart 3 and i know i should be lubing it and i use it very frequently. i have some lube except i don't know hwere i should be applying it. I've heard that you are supposed to put the lube on the sanctions, but where and what are the sanctions?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The stanchions are the part of the fork the slides up and down into the fork lowers. There's a rubber gasket and dust wipers on each side of the fork. Inside the fork, under the dust wipers are sponges filled with oil. As long as these stay soaked, you shouldn't need any extra lube on the stanchions.

Edit: Link to Dart 3 Manual
    Spelling corrected. Yes sanctions are what we impose on foreign countries, not a bike part.
    Last edited by emtnate; 08-07-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Ride the dream
    Spelling correction for both posts - "Stanchions"

You shouldnt have to lube it as emtnate says - it gets greased up in the internals.

If you want to lube it additionally for a little extra plushness, use silicon sprays... DONT use chain lubes (some are not good to the rubber wipers/seals)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ok thank you both

mtbr member
    unless you need the extra plushness i really wouldnt bother, i have a dart and ive been thrashing it for 2ish years and it wont die on me so i cant upgrade lol