1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Road saddle on mountain bike?

Tonight I went by a LBS and they sell alot of Bontrager. Bontager has a special saddle sizer. And based off that I bought a saddle. Inform R. I came home to read more before installing. The Bontrager site shows the seat as being a "road " saddle.

Basically, should I return the seat and by a "MTB" specific saddle? And what are the big differences between road and mtb saddles?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If the saddle feels good keep it. There is no difference.

Picture Unrelated
    I ran a road saddle for a long time on my mountain bike. If you like the seat, run it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i run road saddles on some of my rigs....

one thing i do notice though is some roadie saddles have a 'pointier' nose that likes to grab your crotch fabric when you're constantly in and out of your saddle....

it's irritating....especially if your favorite SS saddle is a fizik airone.....dammitalltoheck
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    I run a Felt road saddle on my horse and I love it.

May 2009
    I run Brooks saddles on everything. I dont think that is a MTB saddle.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    It all comes down to yourself and comfort when choosing a saddle,a road and mtb saddle are just options available to you,personal choice.

mtbr member
    Its all about the comfort. I look at saddles as being kind of universal. There made to fit on a bike, doesn't matter what they are intended for by the designer as long as they are comfy.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I'm putting a road saddle on my new bike...Specialized Avatar Gel with Body Geometry.

mtbr member
    I think the Avatar is a an all purpose saddle.

My buddy has one on his mtn bike and feels pretty good. Another buddy has it on a road bike. Same feel.

I have an old saddle off of my Specialized Allez road bike. Not the best, but feels better than the Cannondale saddle that came on my Rush.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I do ride a road saddle on a HT mtb during my road trips. That is when I uses a road stem, road saddle and my slick slick wheelset. Feels great as my stock saddle would leave me with a very bad butt pain on any rides over 25km. But once I forgot to replaced it with my stock saddle during a XC trip and I noticed the difference when the bike rolled over the first rock. Oh man, I can feel the impact transferred right to my butt as my road saddle is the ultra thin type with minimal padding. I ensured that I remember to use my big fat stock saddle on any off road rides from then on.

Lurker
    hmmm good info i always thought that the rails on road seats were weaker.
    [SIZE="5"]Where the Sidewalk Ends[/SIZE]
    "Its not a hobby its a way of life."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have that saddle on my bike. It's pretty decent. The one downside is that it's a bit pointy at the back of the saddle. This doesn't affect comfort, but it gets snagged on my shorts every once in a while when I go back behind the saddle on steep sections. I still like it though.

Don't return it. Install it and ride it for 30 days. If you don't like it, you can take it back under Bontrager's Unconditional Comfort Guarantee.

Ride Responsibly
    "Mountain Bikes" started as cruisers for the stout frame, then added "Road Bike" parts for less weight and more gears. I ride a WTB Shadow, sold as both MTB and Road use.
    DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE LABEL.

mtbr member
    I used a wide road saddle with gargantuan amounts of padding for my big butt for years, worked fine for light use.

BDT
    mtbr member
    "one thing i do notice though is some roadie saddles have a 'pointier' nose that likes to grab your crotch fabric when you're constantly in and out of your saddle...."

+1 but you get used to it. I've also jabbed myself in the back of the leg a few times. I broke my mtn specific saddle and switched over my road bike saddle a few years ago. I liked it so much bought another so I'm running the same saddle on both now.

mtbr member
    Is all about comfort, use whatever feels right.