1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Rigid SS 29er $500-$700 budget

Hello, new to forum!

I'm looking for suggestions for a rigid SS 29er in the $400-$600(possibly $700)budget. The bikes I have been looking at are the Nashbar SS rigid and iits the only readily available rigid SS 29 in my price range, the G29 is out of stock and no estimate of arrival.

I posted a question in the PA forum as well, I am having a very hard time finding a dealer with a rigid SS 29er for me to try out. I like the idea of single speed, I BMX'd for years as from mid teens to 20 and been mountain biking the last 4 and never rode a 29er either, I really need to feel the whole package together.

I've called every dealer I can find on Google within 2 hours of Reading, PA. None carry single speeds in the store, they all sure can order me something though!

Perhaps there's a group on this forum relatively near my area with a nice person to let me hop on their bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Redline Monocog (not the Monocog Flight) has an MSRP of $650.
    REDLINE BICYCLES ? MTB ? 2013 MONOCOG 29ER

Their website should let you search for nearby dealers, maybe you'll get lucky with finding one nearby.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    The Redline Monocog (not the Monocog Flight) has an MSRP of $650.
    REDLINE BICYCLES ? MTB ? 2013 MONOCOG 29ER

Their website should let you search for nearby dealers, maybe you'll get lucky with finding one nearby.
    Nope I was checking that puppy out too! Frenchtown, Mt.Penn and Scranton dealer either only have used geared Redlines or geared uber Redlines.

Went 140 miles out no one carries her lmao!!

HMMM

mtbr member
    Ebay is your friend. Since you want a rigid single speed, there are less things that can go wrong.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I just bought a nice single speed rigid specialized and i love it. First 29er for me too. I didn't get much of a test ride before i bought it, maybe i should of but i didn't care. The advantages of bigger wheels and lighter mountain bike were enough to make me not care so much about the new "package". Sounds like you already know what you want. Do you think there will be something you don't like enough to not get a 29er. Any back up idea? Just pull the trigger.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Eh, I'm just nervous about a large purchase for me and no handle bar time, I think I know what to expect but I've been wrong before, lol.

mtbr member
    You might have to drive a bit further then to get what you are looking for. New York, Pittsburg, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It's a bike... You'll get used to it. 29er is the biggest, most bad a of a monster truck you can ride through the woods. You will love it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoweShow View Post
    It's a bike... You'll get used to it. 29er is the biggest, most bad a of a monster truck you can ride through the woods. You will love it!

Wrong.

Welcome the 36er !!!!

mtbr member
    I bought a used Surly Karate Monkey on craigslist for $300. came with a Thomson stem, Chris King headset, Niner chainring, Hope rear hub, etc. a lot of people buy SS bikes and get bored with them, or love it so much that they ante up for a custom or ti frame and then sell their old bike. look for a used:

Surly Karate Monkey
    Kona Unit
    GT Peace 9
    Niner SIR9
    Redline Monocog (bonus if it's a "Flite" model)
    Trek/ Fisher Rig
    SE Stout
    Bianchi **SS (several variants on these)
    -plus a few others I can't think of.

mtbr member
    If you want a new bike, check out the Cannondale SL2 29er....nicely outfitted ss that can be had for about 800.
    The other nice thing about ss, is because the lack of excessive components you can spend more on frame and wheels. Find a used frame you like and build one....its fun

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Welp, I bought a G29 off of Direct Bikes. I bought BB7 brakes, I'm looking for a carbon fork and better wheels at the moment.. I'll end up spending as much as a Monocog, and it should be better.

I figured it would be more fun to just upgrade the sucker.

mtbr member
    I would throw the BB7 on there, and just ride it like that for a while. You will enjoy it!

Then if you decide to upgrade, keep all of the old parts. If you decide you want a nicer frame, you can make it a stock bike again. It doesn't matter how many upgrades you put on the G29, its still a g29 and wont get much $ used.