1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Riding Tips for Beginners

About a week ago I went riding with a friend. I got him hooked to mtb. While we were out there I noticed that I'd start to leave him in the dust after some sharp turns or really any turns. So I let him lead and started paying attention to his riding style. I noticed it was his position when he went into the curves. When he was turning his inside leg was down and he was leaning into the turn; using alot of brake as well. So when we stopped I shared a few tips. I told him to keep his outside leg down, keep his body straight, don't use the brake until you absolutely have to and only lean the bike into the turn. I explained that this would maximize traction on his tires and keep his balance better. So after our break I lead and he was on my tail the whole way. After a few miles I lost my focus and almost went of the trail. I let him take the lead and I was actually really trying to keep up. When we stopped he was amazed how small adjustments made a huge difference. Just thought I'd share this awesome moment in mtb.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I still suck at turning Ive just shoulder clipped too many trees my confidence is shot.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Ninja Master Powers
    Best tip for a noob…. Go to a Betterride camp as soon as you start riding.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Best tip for a noob…. Go to a Betterride camp as soon as you start riding.
    X2. Live training is the best thing you can do to elevate your riding.

Or at the very least buy the video, Like a Pro by Fluidride.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin