1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Riding in Skate Parks

Okay, so yeah, I have a Norco Rival, bought it last year. Love the bike, mainly take it on trails and what not. But there is the side of me that is a jumper, formely a BMX racer. ANways I wanted to know how difficult it is to ride in a skate park, and even if i should be doing it. ALso could someone give me a few tips i guess on riding spine ramps as well as 1/4 pipes. Im not really look at killing myself.

ride hard take risks
    Ya you can ride in parks, ramps skinnies, almost anything you want. Check out the DH/FR site, you will find it alot of fun & great information.

http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-freeride/

Meh.
    Take it easy, just roll over things at first and get a feel for it. Skateparks are really much easier on BMX bikes, but it's totally doable on a MTB. He1l, I'm riding park with my Coiler. Be smooth, watch how other riders are doing it.

Portland, OR
    I mostly ride park. its really easy, just learn how to drop in and such. 1/4th pipes are easy, but like another person said, just watch other people do it, and try it for yourself. thats what we all kinda have to do. and dont worry about takeing a MTB into a skatepark. the rival is perfict. I've never actually ridden a BMX in a skatepark, only my P.2
    [SIZE="4"]Ibex bikes[/SIZE]

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1