1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Riding .... in the sand

When I go for my usual ride at a natural park near where i live, there is a way that the ground is very soft like you are riding in the sand. Many times I fall off there as my bike stucks and I am clipped on the pedals . I see other bikers passing with no problems. Any tips???
    Last edited by Markleo; 05-03-2006 at 12:28 AM.

swoosh!
    Mar 2006
    Lower your tire pressure or try to maintain a constant relatively fast pedaling.

As soon as you slow down or go too slow, you will stall. Sometimes the sand is too deep and you can't help it but walk it.
    Crawling uphill is a skill!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    keep your wieght back, dont turn unless you have to and hit it hard

mtbr member
    Momentum is your friend. Get up some speed before hitting the sandy spots to help carry you through and try to keep pedaling fairly fast until you get to the other side as silentak1 said.
    Check out Crankarm; a mountain biking journal from two brothers in Ontario, with trail reviews, equipment reviews, and photos.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Back in the day when I lived where the trails got sand at certain times of the year I learned to get some speed, pedal at a high rate, butt back and slight lift lift lift of the front end as I went through.

bi-winning
    Perhaps some higher volume tires. You can get something 2.1" (at least) for dirt cheap.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Slower than you...
    All the above, plus:

If (when) you feel the bike drift, let it. Don't fight it. Make no sudden moves. Maintain your balance, keep pedaling & ride it out. As I write this, I'm remined that riding across sand is similar to riding rollers - same skills apply.

tdh

don't move for trees
    loosey goosey. i've been going through the sand and almost been power slidding, but you can pull out of it, just stay loose, and let the bike do its thing. you might want to up shift once to get more power, but less torque, so you don't spin your wheels
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

ride hard take risks
    Apply all said above, dang good info.

Maxxis HighRoller 2.35 awsome tires.