1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: riding position

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

riding position

Ok, I think I might have made a HUGE mistake. I rode around a 16' a lil bit and thought that that was most comfortable because i can toss it around a lil more. I rode my old trek today though (which is a 16.5) and it was awesome on the trails i thought, but not so good on the street. It was kinda uncomfortable. So i'm just wondering if the 16" which would make me ride pretty straight up is going to be really uncomfortable? Does stretching you out more really help? I like my bike kinda small but I don't know if i should be strectched out more...i'm 5'9 about 30' inseam thanks guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    sorry for adding to an already long post, but I think it was mostly the saddle, but i think my question really is, is it more comfortable to be stretched out or my straight up?

mtbr member
    It's usually a preference thing. Go with what feels right.

However, straight up will make it a bit harder to climb due to the fact that you will have less weight over the front tire causing it to lose traction or even wheelie. Be sure to lean forward to counter this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    yeah it was probably mostly due to the saddle, but is there anything I can do to "lengthen" the bike...or at least give it a longer feel? I think it's just a difficult for me because i'm a decent height but i have kind of short legs...anywho ANY thoughts on this would be EXCELLENT

mtbr member

personal preference

I grew up riding BMX and freestyle bikes. and I still like doing bunnyhops and stupid bike tricks. So I prefer the feel and manuverability of a smaller frame, and a more upright riding postion. I don't race or do extremely long rides often.

I am 6'3" and ride a 19" frame. That is much smaller than most folks my height. I have to extend the seatpost quite high (had to get a 410mm Thomson), but for me, it works. I have short legs too in proportion to the rest of me: I wear a 34 inseam.

It's very true what someone else said about being difficult to climb though. The bike tends to wheelie very easily on steep climbs. If I had to do it again, maybe I would get the 21" frame instead.

I said all that to say this: It all comes down to personal preference. Ride a lot of bikes, borrow, rent, whatever you have to do. then buy the bike that feels good to you.

As for lengthening the cockpit, make sure your seat is adjusted as far back as it will go - loosen the clamp and slide it all the way back. You may want to try a longer stem too. See if your LBS has any old stems sitting around that you can experiment with.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    sorry for adding to an already long post, but I think it was mostly the saddle, but i think my question really is, is it more comfortable to be stretched out or my straight up?
    Depending on preferences, and what you're doing.

Fox XC stuff, probably a little bit more stretched might feel better, but for more riding where you need to maneuver more the bike, a more straightened up position might feel better.