1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Riding Length

mtbr member

Riding Length

Hi Guys,

For the last week or so I have bee doing some long, well long for me rides. They would go for anywhere from 10 miles and up to 20 miles like I did yesterday and today. I want to plan another one one tomorrow but the wife thinks I should take a day or two off as im exhausted when I get home.

I don't know if getting back out there and riding is the best or should I take a day off to recover from the last rides. I'm not all that sore going out but do indeed feel it when I get home

I think I may be in the market for some padded shorts as I have had my saddle a year and its just not the most comfortable. Can padded shorts be had a decent prices.

Again I always get good answer to questions from you great guys so look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks

Jeremy

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    If it's below 65F...I can go 25-30 miles, no problem. A day or two recovery will only make you stronger on the next ride...granted, you get enough rest.

Definitely invest in padded shorts.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Thanks, I will look into the padded shorts. Would you have any that you can recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    Thanks, I will look into the padded shorts. Would you have any that you can recommend?
    I usually buy cheap, padded spandex shorts under my Bermuda or Cargo shorts. Fox makes nice MTB shorts....not cheap, but will last many years of heavy use.

mtbr member
    Yeah thats what I would want, some padded spandex shorts under my current cargo shorts. Would you have a link as to where I might find some?

Yeah thats what I would want, some padded spandex shorts under my current cargo shorts. Would you have a link as to where I might find some?
    Have at it:
    spandex cycling shorts | eBay

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Be careful with pushing your limits if you're just getting in to riding. I just started back a few months ago and was really gung-ho about riding as much as I could, pretty much every other day. The road riding aspect of things wasn't too problematic but the single-track riding (which I prefer) has started taking a toll due to my frequency and possibly the intensity and technicality of my rides. I'm just starting to see some ailments of my knees. I know what it is and I have to lay off, recover, and carefully build the stamina. I've been pushing it a little too hard and my muscles need a bit more recovery time in between. Also, I sound like a broken record but by adding a Heart Rate Monitor to my riding, it has helped me immensely to understand and improve my riding and endurance so I don't blow-up during a ride as well as having plenty of energy left even AFTER my rides.

What could go wrong ...
    good selection and low prices at Aerotech Designs
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Fat-tired Roadie
    Any road short from about the second cheapest on up works great as a liner for baggies, better, IMO, than liners marketed for the purpose. Try them on - sizing for cycling clothes makes as much sense as sizing for dresses.

As far as recovery days, unless you have time to ride six or seven days a week, don't sweat it. Ride if you feel like riding, do it at the pace you feel like, and enjoy.

I find miles a pretty useless measure of ride difficulty, and really even length. I'm going to pull the spandex on and do a route of around 16 on the road. It'll be easy for me. On a different day, I might be riding the trails near my house, and 10 miles would be a pretty fair chunk to bite off. On some of the trails I used to ride before I moved, 10 wouldn't be such a big deal.

I guess you're also telling us subjectively it feels like a lot. So don't push it, but if you're warming up and feeling good during a ride, it's probably fine. Just pay attention if you get joint pain.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the tips guys, this is a great forum and can always find answer to all my questions. I really appreciate all the advice given

Feeling retro..but Jung

I think I may be in the market for some padded shorts as I have had my saddle a year and its just not the most comfortable. Jeremy
    Why does an uncomfortable saddle = Padded shorts?

How about you take a rest day and go the the bike shop and find a comfortable saddle? They usually have demo saddles and most have the ass-o-meter.
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

Redcoat
    Distance doesnt matter so much as does elevation on rides. My buddy and I went out the other day to a new trail to try out. In the space of 1 hour and change, we had travelled a total of 3.4 miles. This was due to the trail being very technical (wet, rocky, rooty and a huge climb over it all). Our normal trail we take is 11.4 miles and our personal best is 1hr. 5 mins. After the 3.4 mile ride i was twice as tired as i usually would be.

Like Mr. Andrwswitch mentioned go out if you feel you can. IF you get slight pulls of muscles then go easy on them and let them heal. If you ride whilst slightly injured you will more than likely turn it into a worse injury.

To aid recovery, make sure you eat the correct foods. All those protein bars drinks etc i dont believe in as much as "real" food (no im not old) but thats personal choice. Make sure you eat right and this will aid recovery further and get you out on your bike again.